1943 era model railroad layout

willysmb44

• 3 weeks later...

This fantastic thread is pinned now.

Wow, I'm honored. Thanks!

The ET&WNC decided to put sheet metal covers over the headlights on their tenders, due to the proximity of the coal load (to keep them from being crushed when the coal bunkers were filled).

It's one of the key features of the WW2-era black paint jobs that Bachmann never addressed with their excellent models in On30.

I had made some out of black styrene sheets, heated and stretched over a brass tube the diameter needed. But the styrene was really too thick and I never liked the look (the first photo shows one atop the coal pile for comparison). Over the weekend, I got some pre-made 1/2" wide brass strips and cut/shaped them over the same tube. They dropped right into place and after some simple paint work, I had covers that looked much better than the previous ones.

Getting the fit right on # 12:

40775316404_5dee4ed55e_z.jpg

After the paint is done on the same locomotive:

39679975110_ef4d160b6f_z.jpg

I have three of these locomotives but had plenty of brass left, so I made several and used only the ones that worked out best. This is #11:

39679976050_aa4436fc7f_z.jpg

Congrats on being pinned. It's well deserved!

Thanks, but it's really such a peripheral topic to this forum, I wasn't sure anyone would even want to see it, let alone if being pinned.

I wouldn't have posted about here at all if the layout didn't take place in WW2 and have some Army activity represented within.

Thanks, but it's really such a peripheral topic to this forum, I wasn't sure anyone would even want to see it, let alone if being pinned.

I wouldn't have posted about here at all if the layout didn't take place in WW2 and have some Army activity represented within.

Glad you did!

I still can't believe it:

41479458292_4ff0511388_z.jpg

Two magazines on hobby shop shelves at the same time with articles I have written; the March/April 2018 Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette and the 2018 On30 Annual!

Awesome job, Lee! Your modeling prowess is very impressive! I had a good time going through the entire thread to see the progress you made on your layout. Ahh, to have the time, and the room, to take on a similar project! Keep up the great work!

Brian

Thanks, Brian!

I was experimenting with late-afternoon light through an open window again...

39752266230_45bfb70734_z.jpg

27691121508_1f19900df8_z.jpg

39752266640_00305fc41d_z.jpg

39752268710_d6257d067a_z.jpg

39752267710_0feb14ffdd_z.jpg

27691119598_e7a7c2ec06_z.jpg

What is essentially a staging area with scenery passes on front of a window. When the sub is just right, and I can get some decent shots if I open the blinds. Everything looked just right last night:

41657127762_4453894384_z.jpg

What is essentially a staging area with scenery passes on front of a window. When the sub is just right, and I can get some decent shots if I open the blinds. Everything looked just right last night:

41657127762_4453894384_z.jpg

Wow, that shot is a work of art in and of itself. Not to mention the subject.

Mikie

• 1 month later...

I got a Go Pro camera while I was in Europe last month and haven't shot much with it at all. So, yesterday I mounted a base for it onto a HO scale flatcar I'd previously bought to make a 'camera car' out of, put the camera onto it, and ran it in front of one of my 4-6-0s facing backward to get the maximum benefit of sound. The lighting in the room isn't that great for video, so I made it b/w with software on my computer:

Just playing around with the camera this afternoon, dared to even suggest a diesel helper actually took place on the layout. Oh, the humanity!

42044533995_6676b60b3b_c.jpg

42897065762_6c2fa9ca19_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
willysmb44

Last night, I was standing on a stool on one side of the layout room to see something and then I realized I could see the entire layout. I managed to get this with my cell, the only photo ever showing pretty much the entire layout. Only the far wall to the left is missing, and that's just a backdrop and some trees. But for the most part, it's all here:

43194373902_aa66b79ce4_z.jpg

Hey Willy,

That is a great aerial picture of your layout. But it's your closeups, ground level pictures and videos that make this layout outstanding. That is where your attention to detail really excels. Although I love trains and worked with NYCTA Dept. of Subways, I never bought model trains. The best I've done is Lionel's Ultra Train Town PC video game where I can set up my own layouts and play. It's nowhere equal to your set but at least I get to play with trains. :)

Semper Fi.

Manny

That's a great overhead view. The thing with closeups of your set is that it's easy to forget how small it is.

Mikie

I shouldn't count the chickens before they're hatched, but O Gauge Railroading magazine has told me they're likely to run my new layout article in their January 2019 issue as part of a showcase for the various gauges within O scale. The editor has advised this is their largest issue of the year, traditionally.

The great thing here is that it's an easy-to-find magazine (I've even seen it on sale at a local Wal-Mart). they also send a lot of author copies when you get printed. I got printed in the current issue with a single photo of my layout: https://ogaugerr.com/run-300/

• 1 year later...

I've taken some time away from this forum but I thought I might update something here...

I recently realized I’m at the 5th anniversary of the start of the layout.

So, here we are on August 18, 2014, the first train reaches the opposite end of the line. Only 6 days before, the first train moved on about 3 feet of track at the other end:

48401617982_1f6ca690e6_z.jpg

5 years later, the same spot (and same locomotive):

48488763396_6902b3b5cb_z.jpg

FYI, the February/March 2019 O Gauge Model Railroading Magazine has a feature article on my layout: https://ogaugerr.com/run-304/