1943 era model railroad layout

willysmb44

Thanks again, Manny.

I'm toying around with the idea of modifying a 1/43 scale Jeep to be motorized to re-create a rail jeep like this real one I took photos of at Ft Eustis earlier this year:

34072363156_e44439899f_z.jpg

Lee, This would be an awesome addition to the layout!

On Saturday, I had a show at a regional RR photography slideshow. People come from all over for this and my 11-minute show went first. But before that, they aired this word from their sponsor, which was met with huge laughs:

">

Yesterday afternoon, I did a bunch of stuff to get the layout ready for the all-day operating session event (put in by a Olympia group, people are coming from all over, to run in two three-hour sessions at various layouts in this area). I cleaned the track, got all the paperwork correct (there are cards that tell you where each car is supposed to go) and the track switches marked. I also took a couple of photos just for the heck of it, making up a longer commuter train at Winner:

24019727118_15d46a0616.jpg

37841301932_fdb075c4d5.jpg

On Saturday, I had a show at a regional RR photography slideshow. People come from all over for this and my 11-minute show went first. But before that, they aired this word from their sponsor, which was met with huge laughs:

">

Yesterday afternoon, I did a bunch of stuff to get the layout ready for the all-day operating session event (put in by a Olympia group, people are coming from all over, to run in two three-hour sessions at various layouts in this area). I cleaned the track, got all the paperwork correct (there are cards that tell you where each car is supposed to go) and the track switches marked. I also took a couple of photos just for the heck of it, making up a longer commuter train at Winner:

24019727118_15d46a0616.jpg

37841301932_fdb075c4d5.jpg

Wow cool! Congratulations (I think?) on the recognition of your amazing work.

Mikie

Wow cool! Congratulations (I think?) on the recognition of your amazing work.

The really funny part about that slideshow is that the photos were supposed to be funny (I mean, really, holding a speed graphic camera from the 30s- without a flash- to take model train photos without a tripod?), but when I posted the fake commercial on two model train forums, nobody got the joke.

I was biting my nails at the slideshow until those photos were shown, laughs came at the appropriate moments.

I just finished painting on a scale GMC 2 1/2 ton truck. It's a very rare European made model that was never marketed in the US. I was lucky to find one at any price.

post-2617-0-24614200-1508912050.jpeg

More about the shot above:

I finally got around to working on a GMC 2 ½ ton truck model I’d gotten off eBay a while back. They make them and only sell them in Europe, so finding one is really tough. I was lucky to get this one. I think it makes a good addition to the Army area on the layout as the GMC is a classic WW2 vehicle. It came on Spanish Army markings, so I had to do a lot of work to get those off and get the stateside early-war US markings in place.

Here’s what it looked like by the time I was done:

37217252204_794b509e54.jpg

And placed in the ‘motor pool’ on the layout:

37217251744_917de4524e.jpg

Great work on that 'deuce and a half'. Both of the trucks and the jeep really amp up the Quonset hut area. This diorama just keeps getting better and better.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is 217.

Which is your favorite?

This post combines my three loves, miniatures, model railroading and militaria.

Great work.

One of the guys who ran on my layout in October just uploaded this video. It's really just about 2.5 minutes long. Once the screen goes black, you're done.

Trackside Model Railroading, an online magazine, is coming over on Saturday to photograph the layout! https://www.tracksidemodelrailroading.com/ this shows what their work looks like: https://www.tracksidemodelrailroading.com/current-free-edition-preview/
I ran into them at a model train show in Seattle last month and showed them photos of what I had. They called last night to ask if they could come by this weekend to do the photography. They do all the work, and I’m really interested in seeing someone else’s take on what I have built. They’ve covered a few layouts around here in the past (the December issue on their website has a cover for a layout in Olympia that I’ve seen a couple of times in person). They’re out of Spokane, so they use a lot of stuff in the northwest corner of the country. They told me they were happy to document a layout with a southeast concept, as they have subscribers around the world. It’s not a free publication, though, so people are going to have to pay for the content to see it. I recently got a CD of a couple of years of their publications, and I liked their work.

I was lining up some trains for a magazine photo shoot on Saturday, and decided to put all three of my wartime-painted ten-wheelers for the first time since I weathered them over a year ago:

25002773428_ac00d4e25b_z.jpg

25002773858_e9b8e31999_z.jpg

25002774278_a524a189d7_z.jpg

And the other end...

25002768678_dec0059de2_z.jpg

Congratulations on some more well deserved recognition. I'm really getting convinced that you actually have some kind of shrink-ray you use to make these things.

Mikie

So which engine is heading out first. You have to make sure that the other 2 are behind the fouling point. Looks like Engine #11 is first with the passenger cars. This is an awesome display with so much attention to detail and so much going on.

You have done a fine job Willy

Semper Fi.

Manny

So which engine is heading out first. You have to make sure that the other 2 are behind the fouling point. Looks like Engine #11 is first with the passenger cars. This is an awesome display with so much attention to detail and so much going on.

actually, any of the three locomotives could move forward from where they were (and one did after I took the shot). On narrow gauge lines, I bet if it could fit, it would go. I just had to line them up as I hadn't had them all together since the layout was just bare plywood.

I actually have a 4th locomotive like it, but painted in a green/gold paint job from the 30s. It's not weathered and has no crew figures in the cab nor real coal in the tender. It represents a loco that was gone from the RR by 1943, but I have it as a backup, just in case (or if I ever want to run a pre-war themed train). All the locomotives have sound systems and are digitally controlled independently. I can run any of them wherever I want at the same time, could even collide them head-on if I'm not careful (no, I've never done that).

Hey Lee

Been a long time

Looks Great.....Matt

It has indeed. Feels like forever ago we went to Vancouver for Remembrance Day! I stumbled across the photo one of you took of me standing among the Mounties that day.

Frankly, I still do display events, but I consider this a form or re-enacting as well. I reenact 1943 Tennessee in 1/48 scale. The historical accuracy is way better, too!