1943 era model railroad layout

willysmb44

Lee, these photos are great! I can almost feel the soot and cinders blowing into my eyes!

Thanks! Those b/w ones were with my cell phone. I used a photo app to play with the contrast/brightness and details, then convert the images to a film grain look. I've printed a few onto photo paper and I couldn't tell they weren't taken with a film camera.

The only problem is I can't do long-term exposures to correct the depth-of-field issues or put smoke effects into the images in real-time like I have with photos from my good camera.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did more work to the cow enclosure, to include the correct cattle breeds for the area, and hay debris.

post-2617-0-61776700-1505093144_thumb.jpg

Lee does amazing work.

Enjoy!

Mikie

Thanks, Rene and Mikie!

That means a great deal.

TheMinistryOfAviation

Excellent layout you have!

Love how you keep updating things here and there to make it even better!

It's a lot of work maintaining something this intricate. Well done!

-Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

post-2617-0-05556000-1506408453_thumb.jpg

Just took this shot with my cell. I put a flashlight inside the structure to see what effects I could get. It turned out decent, and I'm going to experiment more with this.

Hey Willy

I like the idea of putting a light inside the depot/dispatchers office. But I feel that the light is too bright. Remember this is 1943, so I feel that the light should be dimmer. Who knows if they still used the old oil hurricane lamps or a switchman's lamp or maybe just a couple of 40w bulbs. Again I love the idea and the photo is spot on, I just feel like the light needs to be toned down a bit.

Just my 2 cents.

Semper Fi.

Manny

I like the idea of putting a light inside the depot/dispatchers office. But I feel that the light is too bright. Remember this is 1943, so I feel that the light should be dimmer. Who knows if they still used the old oil hurricane lamps or a switchman's lamp or maybe just a couple of 40w bulbs. Again I love the idea and the photo is spot on, I just feel like the light needs to be toned down a bit.

Just my 2 cents.

Fair enough, but if I put a more correct light in there, you'd clearly see there's no interior in the depot yet. There will be eventually, but the structure is total hollow inside. So that's why the over-bright light, to blot out the lack of a scale interior.

• 3 weeks later...

I just completed an article for another magazine, one showing photos that I attribute to being found in a WW2 footlocker at a garage sale. I ever staged the footlocker shot, from stuff in my own collection. I hope the editor includes everything I sent him.

Did some new shots for the heck of it, stuff that didn't make the cut for the article itself (note the pigeon and bird poop on the roof of the depot):

36913791013_20f192fe56_z.jpg

I also finally added the Quonset hut to the layout. It originally was a 1/48 scale kit for a Nissen hut. I modified it with new ends and US-pattern windows and door. I made the unit sign on my computer:

36587966624_d1ece3f0c6_z.jpg

Of course, any HQ has to have the bulletin board. I even used WW2 RR operating unit memos, though you'll never read them from the edge of the layout:

36587960124_b6fd311f6e.jpgI

Thanks again, Manny.

I'm toying around with the idea of modifying a 1/43 scale Jeep to be motorized to re-create a rail jeep like this real one I took photos of at Ft Eustis earlier this year:

34072363156_e44439899f_z.jpg