1943 era model railroad layout

willysmb44

Yeah, I know, hence this in the post with the first of the photos in this series:

Also, that it was a test shoot for long exposures. I also didn't dust anything...

OMG! Since you mentioned it, how the heck do you dust something like that?

Mikie

Yeah, I know, hence this in the post with the first of the photos in this series:

Also, that it was a test shoot for long exposures. I also didn't dust anything...

I understood, I just was giving a tip for the future 'depth' shots in case you needed it which you probably don't!

What kind of camera are you using? Tripod?

Honestly if you have an iPhone and set it in a tripod, use the timer and set the shutter speed you may be surprised with the results.

I'm curious about dusting as well!! Compressed air?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the heck do you dust something like that?

Carefully. I have seen people use old school feather dusters and a few use lens-cleaning brushes.

Carefully. I have seen people use old school feather dusters and a few use lens-cleaning brushes.

Carefully! Ha! I was tempted to use that in my question, but figured I'd play straight man for you.

Mikie

• 2 weeks later...

I am now adding all the little detail stuff I've wanted to add to the layout. More figures are going in, and things like mailboxes and such are showing up now. Also, I weathered the Ensor farm house as it looked way too clean as it was.

post-2617-0-75318900-1479843255.jpg

post-2617-0-58132400-1479843245.jpg

post-2617-0-96210400-1479843229.jpg

Nice. It's always the little things in the end that put a layout or diorama over the top. Question: Are you going to put a bumping block or cross tie at the end of those tracks next to the corn field. I guess it there is not access to it by a train then it won't need one. Just being inquisitive.

Semper Fi.

Manny

I did some weathering one of my locomotives, the one I don't use all that terribly often on the layout. I didn't go completely insane with the weathering, but it's probably more heavily weathered than they allowed the locomotive to actually get back in those days. Still, it looked way better and this photograph tells the difference between the weathered and the factory stock ones.

post-2617-0-48828600-1479925646.jpg

I's hard to see in this photo, but I also made my own custom builder's plate and printed it on a decal sheet. The Bachmann builder plates are opposite of what they should be (black letters and a bronze-color background, not the other way around that real ones are). I even used the actual Baldwin builder # for that exact locomotive. I have them for every ET&WNC ten-wheeler, even the ones I doubt I'll ever model.

Nice. It's always the little things in the end that put a layout or diorama over the top. Question: Are you going to put a bumping block or cross tie at the end of those tracks next to the corn field. I guess it there is not access to it by a train then it won't need one. Just being inquisitive.

There's a pile of ballast that creeps out of the roadbed and covers the end of the rails there. All my other sidings have buffer beams at the ends of them, and a few have loading ramps up against the end of the rails.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a aluminum casting of a 1943 Baldwin builder's plate (for a VO diesel, but it's mostly the same type of plate they also used for their export steam locomotives) off eBay recently, and I decided to paint the thing with gold paint (nobody makes bronze colored spray paint that I could find), then went over it with brass paint highlights, then filled in the black background and generally made it look well-worn. My goal was to give it the best, "just yanked off the locomotive in the scrap line and never cleaned" look that I could. Now it hangs over the back wall over the layout.

post-2617-0-18198900-1481739829.jpg

I'm also currently writing an article on the layout for a magazine and taking some photos. Several of the recent test photos were uploaded here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53587910@N05/albums/72157668176638961

I love this shot...

post-2617-0-30205700-1481920416.jpg

I'm going to re-shoot this in RAW format for the upcoming magazine article (more info that later), but at a slightly different angle (so you can see the freight cars behind the locomotive) but using the same real-time techniques to show steam and exhaust in action. No Photoshop was used for the steam effects. The exhaust and steam were done with added up paper towels and a cardboard tube covered in cotton and painted. They were each moved around in a 30-second exposure, then removed halfway through.

I just got a new cell phone last night (a LG G5, as my Samsung Galaxy 6 was dying) and it's got a really good camera. First very first photo I took was of the layout and I was surprised at the depth of field for a cell phone. I popped some shots with it for the heck of it and found some good angles for photography I'd never thought of before.
post-2617-0-68300100-1482516703.jpg
post-2617-0-86280700-1482516686.jpg
I'm working on a magazine article on my layout and I'll be re-shooting these shots with my good SLR with long exposure in RAW format.

I just got a new cell phone last night (a LG G5, as my Samsung Galaxy 6 was dying) and it's got a really good camera. First very first photo I took was of the layout and I was surprised at the depth of field for a cell phone. I popped some shots with it for the heck of it and found some good angles for photography I'd never thought of before.

attachicon.gifB2.jpg

attachicon.gifB1.jpg

I'm working on a magazine article on my layout and I'll be re-shooting these shots with my good SLR with long exposure in RAW format.

Who makes the ford truck in your photo?

Who makes the ford truck in your photo?

Well, I don't know as I changed so much stuff it doesn't have the makers name underneath anymore.

I searched ePay for a 1934 Ford delivery truck and found a matching one. The listing says it's a Unique Replicas, model #18357

I just added what the old folks would have called, "a mess o' Critters" on the layout. And this isn't all of them.

post-2617-0-44337300-1483032131.jpg

post-2617-0-72919100-1483032121.jpg

post-2617-0-67089600-1483032087.jpg

post-2617-0-03861300-1483032065.jpg

A small cow pasture is going on next, I'm painting the cows right now to match the right breed for the area at that time.

And I just finished editing an article on the layout for a model RR magazine

The two by the burrow,are they "whistle pigs"?

Ground hogs. My Mom said there were plenty of them around back then. I guess that means you couldn't eat them.

There were NO deer or bear in the region, as they'd been hunted completely out in the 30s and nobody saw either until the 50s.

I love the addition of the critters, but I do want to remind you that raccoons are nocturnal animals. I remember being told that if you saw one in the day it was probably rabid. Just a thought.

Semper Fi.

Manny