1943 era model railroad layout

willysmb44

That is great work. I really like looking at all the details. Well done.

I second that! Excellent work. I can't get enough of going through this thread again and again. These details are amazing. What really blows my mind are your "weathering skills" on the vehicles & buildings! Thanks for sharing this fantastic project!

This reminds me of that old episode of The Twilight Zone, Stopover in a Quiet Town, where a couple wakes up and find themselves alone in a strange town where everything looks real, but is not.

Mikie

While it doesn't show any of the detail on the main part of the layout, I must point out the surprise my wife gave me at the end of last week.

Most model train layouts have curtains underneath the fascia, as to hide all the cabinets, boxes and tools that are usually stacked under one.

My wife, totally unknown to me, made a full set of curtains all on her own.

Just when I think she'd rather I not have any hobbies, she does something like this to support them.

:)

post-2617-0-47584900-1471903366_thumb.jpg

She did all that and you didn't know about it? Great wife. You'd better pay her a little more attention.

Oh, I do. She was raised by parents who felt that the best way to show love is to do stuff for people. She's not exactly a 'squishy' type at all, but nothing seems to make her more happy than doing chores.

Drives me nuts on weekends because she expects the same from me, though...

Added some more figures to the store.
I'm making sure that the figures look either too old or young for military service. I have a lot of women figures on the layout for that reason, too...
Nobody would have noticed this, but the 1932 Ford to the right of the store has the correct TN license plate for 1943, with the correct county code for where the layout takes place. And the signs on the store are all 1943 or earlier, but things you could do or buy in that region at the time. There are movie posters there, all with the name and location of the nearest movie theater (The Bonnie Kate theater in Elizabethton, which still exists but as a performance center now).
For me, it's the little details like this that I truly enjoy and feel can make a layout something special.

post-2617-0-07002100-1472150290.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Last night I started a reverse-Agent-Orange concept by Foliating the area. Trees started, in the form of poly fiber covered in ground foam to represent further away trees for the backdrop. Foreground pines are going in right now, with deciduous trees this weekend. I have also been putting in bushes and shrubs where you'd expect to find them, such as under loading docks and where people wouldn't be walking.

The first shot shows part of the 'motor pool' area for the RR operating battalion. The structure there has moved around and I think might be re-painted as a the unit's day room. Maybe, maybe not, I'm still not sure where this structure will permanently reside...

post-2617-0-44293500-1474662353.jpg

post-2617-0-40793200-1474662368.jpg

Lee, great pictures of the diorama's greening! The second shot looks super realistic (without the frame on the wall ;-). Could we see some close-ups of the motor pool, please?

rroad.jpg

Neat take on one of my shots. I love it!

As for the motor pool, I'll get some good shots soon. It's next to a loading dock, with a large section of Marsten matting, with various stuff stacked up, such as coiled barbed wire, stacks of sandbags and various tarped pieces of equipment to be moved. I'm currently working on signs (but not overly large ones) to show the viewer what's really going on.

post-2617-0-39160000-1474955782_thumb.jpg

I had to add an old-style push mower on to the layout somewhere, to show that nobody had motorized mowers back then. It actually took quite a while to find this, proving the old modeler adage that the simplest things are usually the hardest to find.

Man,spent some time behind one of those as a kid.

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I am focusing on now (that, and adding more trees/bushes/plants), stuff that someone from their 50s or older might say, "Yeah, they would have had that," or, "Oh man, I remember that (or remember a family member talking it from that timeframe)..."

suwanneetrader

Very nice (alot of work) I remember that in the 50's there were many model train buffs in the Greater Cincinnati area ( Southern Ohio and S.E. Indiana, Northern KY.) where I grew up. Now, besides being expensive most do not have enough room to build a layout like yours. I live in Ocala FL and the Train Club here owns a small house with their layout thruout as well as a RR museum. I sold them the payroll spread sheets for building the RR bridge over a River In Tenn (I do not remember the name) for a Line owned by a FL. City that ran to the NE. R.R history is US history and thanks for helping to preserve it. Richard

Richard, are you talking about the group that's set up where the entrance for "Six Gun Territory" used to be? I've read there's a replica of the park set up there in HO.

When I was a kid, I spent a weekend at that place. Such a shame it was bulldozed.

suwanneetrader

Richard, are you talking about the group that's set up where the entrance for "Six Gun Territory" used to be? I've read there's a replica of the park set up there in HO.

When I was a kid, I spent a weekend at that place. Such a shame it was bulldozed.

I sent you a PM with their website. About 6 months ago someone reopened Six-Gun near Dunnellon but I have not seen it. There is a shopping center and homes plus about 40 acres for sale where it used to be. Richard