1943 era model railroad layout

willysmb44

This diorama gets better and better. I love the extensive repertoire of freight cars, passenger cars and locomotives. Can't wait for the finished product.

Semper Fi.

Manny

willysmb44

I so badly wish someone made good GI figures in 1/43, because while technically 1/48, O scale really is larger than that. 1/48 stuff just looks too small.

What I'd really love is to put some German Afrika Korps POWs (with the big 'PW" on their backs) to work in the cornfields or hanging out with the old men in front of Grindstaff's store...

willysmb44

Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out how to make a realistic scale scarecrow.

My Mom says that they were usually a wood cross with someone's ratty old clothes mounted in place.

Hey Willy, after your done with this project you can do a 1/35 scale Kelly's Heroes Rail Yard Dio Oddball's tank and all :D.

post-34986-0-73653600-1463623902.jpg

willysmb44

I was playing around with photoshop on a few shots I took.

post-2617-0-98357700-1463886649.jpg

Not much work done this week as I was wrestling with a kidney stone starting on Monday (it's passed and I feel human again) and the debacle of Armed Forces day at JBLM (the weather was horrible and hardly any spectators showed up).

hardheaded

EXCELLENT WORK! Man, I feel for you on the kidney stones. Last one I had I was asking for more morphine and they said "you gotta wait a little longer before we can give you some more".

willysmb44

I added some HO spikes for foot holds on my main scratch built power pole, I think it looks okay.

After this photo, I added a third pole then strung all the wire. I took photos but you just can't see the wire in them.

post-2617-0-43293300-1464362185.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just completed the war memorial for the O scale civil war 12 pounder barrel my father made for me.

The barrel isn't weathered to compare to the pedestal but I couldn't bring myself to mess with Dad's handiwork...

post-2617-0-14081900-1465831598.jpg

Proud Kraut

I just completed the war memorial for the O scale civil war 12 pounder barrel my father made for me.

The barrel isn't weathered to compare to the pedestal but I couldn't bring myself to mess with Dad's handiwork...

Wunderbar, Lee! I love the "personal touch" of this detail!

Wunderbar, Lee!

Vielen Dank!

Ich bin stolz auf mein Vater Aufwand. Er ist ein Künstler mit Artillerie...

• 1 month later...

Just messing around with the scenery right now, filling in gaps where the cork roadbed under the tracks doesn't show through...

Trees, bushes and tall grass are coming soon.

post-2617-0-05237000-1470184254_thumb.jpg

Man, that corn looks like it's ready for picking. Amazing!

Thanks, there are 400 corn plants in there. The materials for that field were NOT cheap.

I had an op session on my layout yesterday evening, two normal-sized people, a large guy, and myself all fit into the same room with minimal issues (which proved I provided enough aisle space, for the most part).

The first photo shows three trains running at the same time for the first time ever. The foreground is obvious, but a passenger turn is to the far left and a freight switching is going on past the cornfield in the upper left background, directly above the coach.

Normally, I run one train and let whoever is handing the center section of the layout do the switching for outbound cars, which keeps that person busy. But with a third guy, I pulled out a third ten-wheeler (ET&WNC # 9, the first time it's ran with the new road number) and ran a passenger train from the opposite end than normal. I think everyone had a good time.

post-2617-0-36354100-1470677438_thumb.jpg

Two photos taken exactly 2 years apart, the first from the first day the bench work was installed into the room, the second this morning:

post-2617-0-64950900-1470763767_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's not military-related but I decided the farm house needed a clothesline. Normally, that'd be in the back yard but the tracks run right behind the house, so nobody would have put a clothes line right next to where coal-burning locomotive passed right by.

I put a figure of a woman with clothes basket and put some quilts on the clothes line (1930s ones, got online and printed onto paper which was folded over).

Also note the blue star flag in the window to the right of the front door.

Small details, to me, really make the overall effect. My goal is for someone who lived in the region during WW2 to see the layout or photos of it and be reminded correctly of the things they remember form that time and place...

post-2617-0-02569000-1471462501_thumb.jpg