Need help identifying WWII DUI

jdmarsh99

jdmarsh99

My grandfather, Joseph J. Liscinsky, was part of the 133rd Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division in Italy in WWII. I'm creating a 1/6 scale tribute to him, as he was a Jeep driver. All I really have to go on are a two photos from Italy in 1944, but I just can't identify the DUIs on his lapels. I'm a bit confused, as I also see one of his buddies in the photo who appears to be wearing the same DUIs, but he seems to be wearing an 88th Infantry Division patch (maybe). I've looked through countless websites and books trying to identify the DUIs all three of these guys are wearing, but to no avail.

post-162601-0-10627200-1462245145.jpg

Looks like the 349th Infantry Regiment of the 88th Division.

Edit: Beat me to it, patches!

Yeah he must of served in the 88th Div after the 34th Div, he's wearing a 34th Div combat patch, with some kind of scroll over it, must be one that say's RED BULL with unit at either tip of scroll.

Here's an example.

post-781-0-93961500-1408286346.jpg

Looks like the 349th Infantry Regiment of the 88th Division.

Edit: Beat me to it, patches!

Yeah we were looking at the same time :D

The GI on the right is wearing a Devil 88th Div patch with Blue Devil Scroll.

Can't find an real original image of this patch, but it looks similar to this. They're also wearing a collar disc on their caps too.

post-34986-0-44930200-1462246715.gif

jdmarsh99

I have so little information to go on, and his discharge papers are really the only thing I could get from the military, other than a reissue of his medals and ribbons. I completely agree on the ID as the 349th DUI, so I guess I'm just wondering why that could be... :-) I REALLY appreciate the help!

I definitely already got the patches as best I could. I also added his Bronze Star ribbon, so it's a bit different than the pictures. I still need to put his service stars on his European Campaign ribbon.

post-162601-0-93298900-1462278519.jpg

jdmarsh99

I guess Wikipedia just answered my question... "After the war, the 88th Infantry Division absorbed some personnel and units from the 34th Infantry Division and served on occupation duty in Italy guarding the Morgan Line from positions in Italy and Trieste until 15 September 1947 when the Italian peace treaty came into force."

The GI on the right is wearing a Devil 88th Div patch with Blue Devil Scroll.

Can't find an real original image of this patch, but it looks similar to this. They're also wearing a collar disc on their caps too.

attachicon.gifpatch-88th-patch-devil.gif

Here's an image of the 88th w/ the Devil's head on it

post-622-0-40835900-1462406036.jpg

• 3 years later...

I have so little information to go on, and his discharge papers are really the only thing I could get from the military, other than a reissue of his medals and ribbons. I completely agree on the ID as the 349th DUI, so I guess I'm just wondering why that could be... :-) I REALLY appreciate the help!

I definitely already got the patches as best I could. I also added his Bronze Star ribbon, so it's a bit different than the pictures. I still need to put his service stars on his European Campaign ribbon.

In the American army, the patches on the left shoulder are those of the division where service is being served, while in the right shoulder those of the division where service was served in the past