Archival protectors for paper/posters etc.

avigo

Hey guys.

I collect some paper things, usually larger pieces like posters.

Any archival protectors I have had have been floppy. I was wondering if there are any high quality, archival protectors that are rigid?

Or any other suggestions.

I'd like something other than a frame, but that could be pulled out to show people easily.

Thanks!

A minimum size of 18x14 for what I am specifically looking for here.

I use the BCW rigid toploaders for photographs, but I don't know how archival they are.

avigo,

There are companies such as Gaylord Brothers and Light Impressions that sell archival quality protective items. Mylar (sometimes also called melinex) is great for this, and you can buy it in different thickness, some a little more rigid than others. You can also make your own protectors by buying mylar in a roll and cutting off the pieces that you need. You can attach the mylar to a rigid backboard (maybe something like coroplast would work--its chemically inert, pretty cheap to buy and it cuts easily with a straight edge and a razor blade knife.). I would recommend using archival quality two-sided tape, and only enclosing 2 of the sides (a long side and a short side) so that you can put in and take out your posters as desired.

I would also recommend that you buy some oversize archival quality paper folders or get some acid free paper and make a top cover that blocks light. Lioght is one of the most damaging agents of deterioration for paper items.

Hope some of this helps.

ww1buff

avigo,

There are companies such as Gaylord Brothers and Light Impressions that sell archival quality protective items. Mylar (sometimes also called melinex) is great for this, and you can buy it in different thickness, some a little more rigid than others. You can also make your own protectors by buying mylar in a roll and cutting off the pieces that you need. You can attach the mylar to a rigid backboard (maybe something like coroplast would work--its chemically inert, pretty cheap to buy and it cuts easily with a straight edge and a razor blade knife.). I would recommend using archival quality two-sided tape, and only enclosing 2 of the sides (a long side and a short side) so that you can put in and take out your posters as desired.

I would also recommend that you buy some oversize archival quality paper folders or get some acid free paper and make a top cover that blocks light. Lioght is one of the most damaging agents of deterioration for paper items.

Hope some of this helps.

ww1buff

Those so much for the recommendations!

I will look into those

I get archival mylar bags and acid free boards at comic book stores. Get the magazine size for larger items. They come in multiple sizes -

Also, Gaylord and Light Impressions (and a couple of other such houses) offer neutral pH interleaving tissue (paper) in a variety of sizes, which is what a good many museums use for flat storage of paper artifacts such as posters et al.

It has the advantage of being inexpensive and thinner than mylar.

• 3 months later...

Their are some good websites about conserving and properly storing old posters. My large is good if used with a good acid free foam board. If displaying use a conservation style paper hinge and acid free document tape. I think the website for the National Archives has a how to for displaying and preserving old paper items.

I'd check bags unlimited. Great quality at very reasonable prices.

They have archival sleeves (rigid and thin) in every size imaginable.

I buy photo sleeves (cdv/ cabinet card/ rppc...) from them and always get top quality and they are easy/ great folks to deal with.

Scott