movie props from SAVING PVT RYAN

BOLO

the e-tool prop would be very easy to duplicate if you needed an e-tool on your pack for reenacting or display

just get a piece of wood for the handle and paint it OG and attach a flat piece of wood with a tie wrap

you could even use the handle off an old garden tool and repaint it.

Im going to try and make one of those prop M43 e-tools to lighten the combat load on my mannequin display

full gear on a mannequin can get pretty heavy :lol:

A few years ago someone at a local gun show was selling replica weapons from Saving Private Ryan. Most were cast rubber but I remember an elaborate M-1 Carbine with wood and metal parts that featured a working bolt.

Interesting stuff, At the Front had a lot of SPR gear awhile ago, I regret not buying much of it.
I was smart, I got a Ranger helmet, M-41 jacket, two M-5 bags, a solid resin bayonet and a HBT shirt. All were well marked and they didn't cost me that much. I only wish I'd gotten one of the plastic M-1 rifles! At The Front was selling this stuff off at next to nothing prices. In fact it was so cheap, folks were buying the jackets, uniforms and such to use for re-enacting, even removing the patches to do so.

I wish I could have bought an Assault Vest.

They've been the best repops to hit the market to date that Ive seen.

One was just on ebay, but I missed out on the bidding.

I wish I could have bought an Assault Vest.

They've been the best repops to hit the market to date that Ive seen.

One was just on ebay, but I missed out on the bidding.

I have seen the assault vests pop up at some gun and militaria shows. I would love to own one as well, but the prices the dealers are asking for these is down right ridiculous.

Arch

I have seen the assault vests pop up at some gun and militaria shows. I would love to own one as well, but the prices the dealers are asking for these is down right ridiculous.

Arch

I have an original, but a half way decent one to play with would be nice.

I have an SPR assault vest, i will post some pics with my other props if you like. As the majority was filmed in the uk, the props were extremely easy to get ahold of.

I worked for the special effects company the did "We were Soldiers". We made a lot of molded versions of SKS, AK47s, M16s and M60s. Depending on the scenes they would be made from different materials.

Foam for scenes where actor had to throw the rifle in the air when being blown up or possibly fall on them.

Hard resin for closer action shots. (these actually weighed more then the real thing).

Hard resin with foam butts when used to fake a hit on a combatant.

Plastic replicas with working bolt actions for close ups.

Real weapons for shooting blanks were used of course.

Extras and stars had to sign for weapons even the plastic ones to keep them from walking off with them. Those fakes weren't cheap to make.

The white phosphorous explosions were accomplished by blowing aluminum powder into the air and then igniting it with a propane pilot flame. (remotely of course).

Note: Special effects people standing by to extinguish in unexpected fires. Real firefighters standing by if needed. (The use of real firefighters was considered as a badly planed effect that got out of control and not professional.) In the case of this film everything was professional and the firefighters enjoyed the show.

I aquired some of the stuff as well from various sources. Somewhere I have a photo of racks of the plastic Garands all painted up before they were tossed about, and they look just like rows of real garands. Amazing what things will look like on the screen.

Probably the most fun item was chunks of the rubber giuy who blew himself trying to attach the sticky bomb. But you really could not tell what it was afterwards.

One of the problems with collecting SPR props is that on one hand there were a number of different uniform sets for the major actors, but afterwards some of the crew realized how much say, a Miller jacket, would go for. As they had the original tags, and it was their hand writing on the real stuff, they made up some more....

What are the plastioc garands going for now? I had sold one to a guy in the UK for about $125.

They had a big pile of money and essentially called every dealer they could find in the US and Europe to buy stuff.

With a big enough pile of money anything is easy.

I have an SPR assault vest, i will post some pics with my other props if you like. As the majority was filmed in the uk, the props were extremely easy to get ahold of.

I purchased one of these vests from ATF when they first began selling them. When it arrived in the mail, there was still sand in the lower front pockets, as well as a little water staining on the bottom half. A very good copy overall.

A

I bought a lot of it 10 years ago, but then sold it off little by little. I never thought the props would become all that collectible.

I did keep a 2nd Lt. Ranger helmet shell. I'm glad I kept it now. It's not one of the marked ones. Not all of helmet shells were marked - I helped sort hundreds of them in 1998 at the company that bought most of the stuff.