Military Bring Backs

ccyooper

Is anyone familiar with Section VI, War Department Circular No. 155, 1945, an amended by Section VIII, War Department Circular No. 267, 1945? I believe it is the standard circular that authorizes the bring back of captured weapons, however, circular 267 may have a caveat for bringing back US weapons. In my search on the web I got a couple of hits but the pages are on FOLD 3 and I am not a member, etc., and I am not willing to pay for membership at this time.

The story: A typed letter similar to capture paperwork, using the above references signed off by the CO of a Detachment authorized another officer to keep or retain his Model 1911A1 pistol. The serial number is listed as well as the maker of the pistol. I have seen an authorization for an officer to purchase a Garand in Okinawa or Guam after the war (1946?) but this is a first for a pistol. However, there appears to be no purchase requirements for the pistol.

The pistol owner obtained the pistol and paperwork from a widow of a vet. As he wanted to register it, he asked the widow if she had any paperwork and she dug out the above document (dated Nov 1945). Not what he expected.

I have seen paperwork transferring a weapon between units and allowing an officer/soldier to carry his weapon to another unit, but this appears to be something different, authorizing him to keep it, that is why I am curious about the circulars in question.

Regards,