Inland M1 Carbine Question

GF97

I picked up an inland M1 carbine dated 11-44 from an old friend of mine for $475. He bought it from the city of Detroit after the 1967 riots. I believe it is somewhat of a scarce transitional variation. The gun looks like it was never issued, everything and I mean everything is Inland. It has the bayonet lug, adjustable sights (which still have the white paint in the numbers), a two rivet IO handguard that matches the IO stock perfectly, and a push button safety. It also has one of the cleanest and tightest bores I have ever seen and the gun is super tight all the way around. I have never seen one in this configuration, and I guarantee it hasn't been monkeyed with. I read in one of my Carbine books that few of this configuration was manufactured until the introduction of the updated safety in early 45. Has anyone heard of this or seen one?

post-161700-0-30763200-1462198713.png

Without knowing the serial number and closeups of the rear and front sight, the magazine release, safety, etc. it's impossible to render any kind of opinion on the correctness of your M1 Carbine. On the other hand, that was a great price for the Inland so go and enjoy it.

Looks like you did very well for $475. Did the City confiscate it? I'm sure now it would be destroyed rather than sold.

Serial number is in the 6,650,000 range. The safety is a type 3 with no markings, the front sight is marked N on the flat edge behind the blade, the rear sight is a type 3 marked I.R. Co., and the mag release is of the type 3 variety with just an M and no underline, it is marked H.I. and it has no 30 rounder reinforcement. I checked all parts and my book says they are all Inland but I am just curious about correctness of era. If you would like pics of the parts I mentioned let me know and I can have em up tomorrow. As for how he got the gun the city had purchased thousands of the rifles in preparation for "drastic measures" they were to be supplied to the police and other city workers for protection during the riots. So when the riots ended at they weren't as bad as expected the city was stuck with crate after crate of the guns and they started making them available to police and fireman for I believe $23, that's what I was told at least. Interesting stuff for sure though, not to mention I was pretty psyched that I found a gun with all Inland parts that are on the teetering edge of improvement stages.

Dirt Detective

Serial number is in the 6,650,000 range. The safety is a type 3 with no markings, the front sight is marked N on the flat edge behind the blade, the rear sight is a type 3 marked I.R. Co., and the mag release is of the type 3 variety with just an M and no underline, it is marked H.I. and it has no 30 rounder reinforcement. I checked all parts and my book says they are all Inland but I am just curious about correctness of era. If you would like pics of the parts I mentioned let me know and I can have em up tomorrow. As for how he got the gun the city had purchased thousands of the rifles in preparation for "drastic measures" they were to be supplied to the police and other city workers for protection during the riots. So when the riots ended at they weren't as bad as expected the city was stuck with crate after crate of the guns and they started making them available to police and fireman for I believe $23, that's what I was told at least. Interesting stuff for sure though, not to mention I was pretty psyched that I found a gun with all Inland parts that are on the teetering edge of improvement stages.

Sounds like you have a nice late production Inland..what is the barrel date?

• 3 years later...

Serial number is in the 6,650,000 range.

Garet,

I came across your older post here...... While looking for Carbine posts.

Hope you don't mind me knocking some dust off your post ........ :rolleyes:

Was wondering if the number 1 after the M on the front receiver ring looks to be a machine stamped or Hand stamped 1 ?

In this serial# range we find Machine stamped and Hand stamped 1's.

Later in this block, the 2's (M2) are found.

A Hand stamped 1 is of interest to collectors and can add some $ value to it.

Often a Hand stamped 1 doesn't line up to the M like machine stamped one.

Do you still own it and capable of looking at it?

These next 2 features below make this stock often sought after:

Does your stock have the longer 4.14" front barrel channel ?

And if the Recoil plate seat area has the extra support cut in the stock on the bottom for the bottom/back edge of the plate ?

Congrats on scoring a nice 6.6 mil Inland... !

Cheers,

Charlie-Painter777

• 4 weeks later...

I would also be interested in knowing whether this has the "hand stamped" 1 on the receiver? If so, these "hand stamped" M1 Carbines are a neat variation. I have had the opportunity to handle/inspect a number of the hand stamped M1 Carbines over the years with varying barrel dates, the earliest being a 9-44 date. Regardless to whether the 1 is machine or "hand stamped", these late production Inland M1 Carbines are the best of the factory original untouched M1 Carbine production. I find that these are also under appreciated by most but for serious carbine collectors. I've seen people look at these and seeing the adjustable rear sight, late barrel band with bayonet lug, low wood stock etc...commenting that it is just a common arsenal rebuild mix-master Inland.