Very early CISO made early classic pattern Tiger Stripe boonie

Zirni

Beau-Brummel

Lovely hats Owen, thank you for taking the trouble to post them.

The early piece with the printed tag is really nice, I stupidly sold my examples some time ago. Funnily enough Dai Ta had a couple for sale seven or eight years ago which got roundly slated, as a consequence of that I bought them for a song :lol:.

You're spot on with the CISO, I actually owned that one a while ago but again parted with It when a certain collector we've discussed was buying up everything In sight. I broke up my collection for him and let him have about thirty pieces that I would struggle to replace, needless to say I regret that very much now. Those CISO types are very distinct and are virtually Identical to the black ones, being made In the same facility I'm sure. It's funny because for years everyone thought grommets should not go through the lining and persisted in calling the black lined Oki contract hats CISO manufacture, which we know now is not really the case. They probably were acquired under contract but were already In use as CISO was being formed. I think these were very probably manufactured by the 'OKINAWA MAIDS' concern which was It's self part of a larger corporation. The stitching on the genuine CISO pieces like the one you show here Is actually nylon which makes them pretty unique as far as Japanese made headgear go's. The use of the plastic brim stiffening material Is another Interesting feature, the lining fabric of these can vary, I've seen and owned green, tan and black . Below Is an example of a CISO piece with a seriously chopped brim, the only one of the type that I kept. It Is a large size but sadly the tag Is missing, the lining Is the standard black.

post-1781-0-20750900-1462878070.jpg

Beau-Brummel

Interestingly there Is a distinct sub variant of the CISO type, pretty much Identical but not using the plastic brim stiffening and utilising painted grommets. Liners also come In the early windproof type tiger cloth.

post-1781-0-24958100-1462878660.jpg

Beau-Brummel

This Is THE classic Okinawan contract boonie and the one that collectors strive to find and feel safe with, I actually think this type Is very early and was probably In use as CISO was coming Into being In 63/64. I believe these were manufactured by the Okinawa Maids concern and were commercially available through various outlets before they landed a military contract. They sport painted grommets with wider spacing than the CISO types and the classic black cotton/silk blend liner with Jaquard woven size label. Interestingly these painted grommets can be found In use on various other types of Japanese manufactured, military and commercial garment as can the size labels. This points to various manufacturers purchasing components from the same sources.

post-1781-0-95636000-1462879864.jpg

Beau-Brummel

Again, there Is a very Interesting sub variant of this type of which I have only ever seen one example which I own. Ostensibly Identical to the piece above but with the addition of a snap on each side to hold up the brim, I believe this was a trial/transitional piece manufactured when contracts were being sought. Below Is an example of what I believe to be the very earliest type of Japanese manufactured hat, slightly later examples have the brim shortened by approximately 1.5 Inches.

post-1781-0-97764100-1462880730.jpg