Very early CISO made early classic pattern Tiger Stripe boonie

Zirni

Hi all,

Here are pics to compare twill and lining, the points Guy mentioned .

I ve compared the ealy pattern in question to a classic boonie i have.

post-157610-0-22425900-1462636204.jpg

Two two linings in coparison. Above (yellow marked) is from the early boonie and the lower (blue) section is from the classic

post-157610-0-30393300-1462636278.jpg

Here is a closeup of both boonies to compare the twill ( above is classic, lower one is the early)

post-157610-0-60268900-1462636455.jpg

Beau-Brummel

Hi Zirni,

firstly, my sincerest apologies for such a late reply.

I've just spent two hours taking photos and comparing macro shots and to be honest I'm more confused than ever :lol:. Some of the things that worried me about your piece were the assembly details. That '1000 stitch' brim Is so unusual and something I've only ever seen on fakes but I guess one can never say never. Similarly the double needle machine stitch at the rear; one see's this a lot on fakes but one also sees It on early Japanese production pieces which does work in favour of your hat being early. However, the thing that spoils that theory a bit Is that the earlier pieces were very different In construction. Interestingly I have in my collection a piece which I have always considered transitional and unique and I suppose It's possible yours Is another transitional one of a different type. I would expect It to have grommets though as even the earliest examples exhibit those.

In short I don't think It's possible to make a definitive call from pictures alone and there you have the advantage over us my friend. I certainly think It has a better chance than I did Initially and I'd love to be able to handle It one day.

If you don't mind can I ask you a couple of questions; firstly, Is your outer brim one circular piece or made up from two semi circular sections joined? Secondly and you may want to pm me this, where or from whom did you acquire the hat?

Very Best Regards, Guy.

Mike Force
Guy, I completely agree with you.
I have never seen a similar one and I also hat some serious doubts about it but they quickly disappeared after I got it in my hands.
After all I am pretty much convinced that this one must be the real deal?
Maybe I am wrong but I would buy it all day long?

Beau-Brummel

That's very Interesting Mike, If you've handled and like It then that go's In It's favour!

I'd really love to see It maybe Zirni could bring It to Ciney In October.

Hey Guy,

Thanks for your efforts and research which has taken a very long time :-). It s definately sth very hard to tell without having handled it. Yeah of caurse it s possible to bring the bonnie to ciney in october (assumptive nothing will cross my plans then). I am really looking foreward to see you having the piece in hand.i m really anxious (like everybody here i guess) to hear your opinion then :-).

Regards

Zirni

Beau-Brummel

Thank you for your kind words my friend, I look forward very much to seeing you and the hat In October.

Yours, Guy.

Thank you for your kind words my friend, I look forward very much to seeing you and the hat In October.

Yours, Guy.

Me too :-). I know where you ll sit then :-)

Best

Z

When I look it again I found the small red letter tag is a little different. Has anyone seen a similar tag sewed into a loop?

Beau-Brummel

Yes, that worried me too and I wondered If It was to prevent one seeing the back; I then looked at macro's of some tags in my collection and a lot of them vary slightly. It would be Interesting to see the back but that would mean cutting the bottom away from the brim and Zirni might not be happy to do that. As Bob stated earlier many Japanese produced garments carry these tags so It wouldn't be a problem for a faker to get hold of them, ergo It's probably not a deal breaker.

In truth I've been researching a lot of these questions for a long time and had always Intended to attempt to write a book, or at least some articles that addressed some of these questions. The fact Is though that time constraints, real life and downright Idleness have always conspired to get In the way :wacko:. Perhaps It would be fun and maybe even a bit enlightening If we were to start a form of reference thread that dealt with the various types of Japanese produced headgear and looked at their little details? Anyone think that's a good Idea? Obviously It would need contributors to photograph various aspects of their pieces such as labels, hardware, liners, stitching, fabric etc. If It's deemed a good Idea I'll get something happening over the next couple of days, If It's considered a danger In that It will help the fakers then we'll think again. Thoughts?

Yours, Guy.

kammo-man

Posted Image

Here is a proper 1st production tiger boonie hat

Different bolts of cloth are used

Large stitching and made on different machines by different people with the stitch setting set differently

kammo-man

Posted Image

Size tag is printed early style

Liner is very light green

Air vents do not go through

Vents are painted

This is the first pattern boonie hat and is very rare

I have only seen 2 like this

Owen

kammo-man

Posted Image

The brim is not matched up all that carefully