Very early CISO made early classic pattern Tiger Stripe boonie

Zirni

Beau-Brummel

These are what I consider to be some of the main Japanese contracted types of boonie although there are others. I've limited myself to true 'jungle' style hats In the vein of the British 44 pattern which was the first of the type. I have not Included the various French Influenced or cowboy types which abound as these are really a different subject matter. The question of brim stitching which I flagged early In this thread referred only to the classic Okinawan type (black liner, woven size label, black grommets) as many other types can be found with close stitching as owen has shown. Below are a few Images of the Japanese made fake I also refer to. Sadly due to the ravages of time It looks pretty naff now, however when It was new It was a seriously good attempt. The cloth weave and weight were perfect and the print was absolutely superb, the best I've ever seen. It was only really let down by the close stitching and completely wrong grommets. I theorised that Zirni's could be from the same stable and that perhaps the grommets had been deleted as they gave the game away. In retrospect I think I was very possibly wrong.

post-1781-0-82400500-1462882267.jpg

Mike Force

Thank you Owen and Guy for taking the time and posting all this beauties!

That’s very interesting Guy!?

Your one look indeed very similar to Zirni’s except for some small points! As far I can see it is also made from the same early tiger pattern (JWS). Does the rear have the same double needle stitch as well?

Beau-Brummel

Hi Mike,

yes It does, you can see why I was worried can't you.

I might suggest that Zirni does a burn test on his hat as my example Is sewn with polycotton or polyester not cotton or nylon.

Yours, Guy.

Mike Force

Yes Guy I can see!

I think his one is sewn with 100% cotton but I'm not sure?

A burn test might be the best idea?

Do you know who reproduced this early tiger stripe pattern?

Mike

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all the inputs and the beauties shown here. Now we have a kind of reference thread :-).

Guy, i ll immediately do a burn test tomorrow when im am back home.

Is the brim on your boonie also devided into two semicircles?

Best

Zirni

Beau-Brummel

LOL, what If It floats.

I know the burn test Is a bit archaic but It does work In certain circumstances.

Yes Zirni, my brim Is two semi circular pieces, on both top and bottom. The brim doesn't have any internal stiffening material either.

Hi Mike, I'm not sure who printed the fabric; Red or Dead, Tokyo Phantom, Sams and a few others were knocking out nice repros In the 80's and early 90's. My boonie has been washed several times and has shrunk a fair bit. When I bought It the colours were awesome and as I said the pattern detail Is superb.

Yours, Guy.

If the whole bootie burns ......then its a witch.

If it does not then its OK.

Beau-Brummel

Though I'd better post this; this Is the early (c1964), long brimmed gold pattern. These hats are made from a high rayon or silk content twill rather like the windproofs and some early tigers. The material Is beautiful quality and the colours are vivid, the black stripes range from jet black to magenta/blue purple when new. The size markings are hand drawn in a rectangular box, the lining material Is similar black cloth to that of the Okinawa boonies and the grommets are a flat black phosphate type finnish. Generally when these are found they have had the brim shortened but these examples are mint and complete. Brought home by an SF medic I was lucky enough to purchase them from a forum member six or seven years ago.

post-1781-0-48392400-1462910470.jpg

vintageproductions

Guy, I think the shop you are thinking of was Buy Or Die (Mike Fukuda), as they had some in the early 80's.