Dog Tag Expert Help Needed

Scarecrow

Scarecrow

I have recently acquired these items from a US pilot grouping. He was a member of 121 Eagle Squadron, later the 4th Fighter Group and in 1949 while flying on a recon mission with the Greek AF as the US Air Attache he was shot down and executed by communist Greek guerrilla fighters during the Greek Civil War. Couple of tags that I'm hoping more experienced dog tag collectors can help me with. The first is one of his US tags, and one of the most unusual, in my limited tag experience, I've seen. I understand most of it but am particularly interested in the "next of kin" portion. It reads:

Seldon R Edner

0-885118 T42 O

Helen A L Edner

Station Rd - GAS.HS

Laurencekirk Scotl P

I'm thinking this means he married a Scottish girl but information on his personal life is scarce since I can find no obituary, as I believe he was buried in Greece when he was murdered.

The second tag looks similar to an RAF dog tag except it is made from a galvanized metal not the usual RAF fiberboard and is pretty crudely stamped. Not sure might just be a luggage or baggage tag. It reads:

U889

II4

V55

Again any help or comments greatly appreciated.

post-23999-0-05540900-1462125031.jpg post-23999-0-46261600-1462125036.jpg

cperkins510

I remember researching this pilot too. He did marry a Scottish girl when he was serving with the RAF and 4th Fighter Group in England. I think I googled her name and obituary. If you do that, you will find that info confirmed. Just may have to dig through a few links.

littlebuddy

Monterey County Herald, CA Aug. 22, 1998 pB3
Helen Edner August 12, 1921-August 13, 1998 Helen Edner passed away on August 13th with the loving support of her family and Hospice staff at the Leigh Block House in Santa Barbara after a courageous battle with cancer. Born in Lawrencekirk, Scotland in 1921, Helen grew up there and later attended schools in both Scotland and England. She was active in sports (especially tennis & badminton) and was an expert with a pistol. During WWII she lived through the bombing of London. One weekend after she returned to Scotland she was asked to guide a group of fighter pilots on a hunting expedition on land managed by her father. One of the pilots was Selden Edner, an American flying with the Royal Air Force Eagle Squadron. She married Selden in England in 1942 and traveled with him around the world. Helen moved her family to the Monterey Peninsula in 1949 after becoming widowed and settled into a home that she and Selden had built on Herrmann Drive. Helen worked for the Monterey Peninsula School District from 1959, when she began as a bookkeeper, until 1981, when she retired as an Accountant and Director of Fiscal Services. Helen moved to Santa Barbara in 1992 to be closer to her granddaughter. She worked with her son to build her dream home in 1993 and continued to pursue her passions in Santa Barbara for raising orchids, gardening and playing bridge. Helen was a volunteer garden grower for the Santa Barbara Botanic Gardens and greatly enjoyed her friends in Santa Barbara with whom she worked at the gardens and played bridge. Her love and generous spirit will be missed by her daughter, Christine, from El Granada; her son, Selden, who lives in Santa Barbara, and his wife Judy and daughter Megan. Helen is also survived by her brother, Ned, and his wife Vera, in Coventry, England, and sister-in-law, Dorothy Edner of Monterey, and Bernice Edner, of Saratoga. A celebration in honor of Helen�s life will be held at her home, 5 St. Francis Way, on Saturday, August 29th at 3:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Helen�s name to the Humane Society, Hospice and Visiting Nurses Association of Santa Barbara or the Santa Barbara Botanic Gardens.
Copyright © 2009 The Monterey County Herald

• 3 years later...

Scarecrow,

I can assist you in info on Selden Edner. My mother and Selden were first cousins and I have quite a little bit of info regarding Selden. Let me know if you are interested in getting more information.