Named Army Good Conduct Medals to WAC's and Women in the Army

Bruce Linz

Bruce Linz

Army Good Conduct Medal named to "Margaret A. Amesbury". She served in both the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) and the Women's Army Corps (WAC).

Amesbury GCM.jpg

Here is a group I used to own - Margaret Hoffman served in Europe immediately after the war. Her sister Catherine Hoffman also served in Japan immediately after the war.

post-12036-0-10947700-1462110922.jpg

post-12036-0-33512100-1462110933.jpg

post-12036-0-59620200-1462110943.jpg

post-12036-0-01514400-1462110952.jpg

Bruce Linz

Very nice group. Having a photo of the recipient in uniform is always a nice addition. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce

Here are a couple I have, both WAC's:

Clementine L. Flynn

Flynn_GC.jpg

Carrie M. Shively

Shively_GC.jpg

I hate to say it but I have not done much research into either woman beyond their NARA enlistment records. Perhaps that will be this afternoons project.

-Ryan

Bruce Linz

Ryan,

Thanks for your additions. Good luck with your research. As you probably know if their enlistment date is between 15 May 1942 and 30 June 1943 they were WAAC's first and stay in the Army after the WAC's were established on 1 July 1943.

Bruce

Bruce Linz

Army Good Conduct Medal named to "Eleanor J. Bliler". She served her country during World War II as a weather forecaster.

Bliler GCM.JPG

Bruce Linz

Army Good Conduct Medal named to "Donatella DeMichele". She served in the European Theater of Operation during World War II.

DeMichele GCM.jpg

Bruce Linz

Army Good Conduct Medal named to "Esther Garcia". Master Sergeant Garcia served in the Army from 05 January 1951 and retired 31 January 1977.

Garcia GCM.jpg

Bruce Linz

Army Good Conduct Medal named to "Jeannette Johnson". She served as a Sergeant during World War II.

Johnson, Jeannette GCM.jpg

Bruce Linz

Army Good Conduct Medal named to "Hazel M. Leake". She served in both the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) and the Women's Army Corps (WAC).

Leake GCM.jpg

Bruce Linz

Army Good Conduct Medal named to "Geraldine B. Mellott". She served in both the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) and the Women's Army Corps (WAC).

Mellott GCM.jpg

• 3 months later...

Army Good Conduct Medal named to "Ethel Lippman". She served her country during World War IILippman GCM.jpg.

Army Good Conduct Medal named to "Sara V. Kesel". She during the Korean War and later in the New York National Guard.

Kesel GCM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great post...amazes me that there is not more interest in these medals. I had several for sale and no one ever asked for one. Also sad to say, the same goes for bronze stars. Happy you guys pulled this together. Thank you

Yeah, I had a GCM listed on Ebay(about $35) for weeks and no action. Does not matter since I don't mind keeping it with my others.

Glad there are more guys and gals with this interest.

• 4 weeks later...

For the guy who had the Medals from Margaret Hoffman, are you a member of her family? Do you have contact with anyone from her family? Margaret Hoffman served in the Women's Army Corps with my Grandmother, I'd love to connect with her family.

Hey PTobias35,

Actually, I have Ms Hoffman's medals now. I think I bought them from a forum member at the Franklin Show. I can't remember if I did any more research on her but I'll look if I can find the "tub" most of my stuff seems to be in lately.

Good luck with your endeavor. I hope you had a chance to talk to your grandmother about her experiences.

Steve

• 3 years later...

Army Good Conduct Medal named to "Lucille P. Bishop". She served in both the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) and the Women's Army Corps (WAC).

Bishop GCM 01.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just acquired this one. She was born in France, was a French professor in NY, and was a WAAC/WAC T/Sgt 1943-45.

430d77a0f90aaffd3b3ccd8e6cd9f396.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk