FTG-3-1 Food tray galley

Stillwell

Hey all, I just picked up one of these from a guy on craigslist, but what can y'all tell me about these? One friend of mine says they weren't used much but I wasn't sure.
Anyone know were they would be stowed on an aircraft? Or how often they got used? etc.

Thanks!

00T0T_104FJMuN041_600x450.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update on the Galley! Got around to getting better photos for you guys' benefit if anyone was interested.
Still looking for any info on the use of these/when they were used, etc.

post-14732-0-68358700-1465154109.jpg

Brian Keith

Interesting, thanks for posting the photos. I can't add any info, but I pick up odd ball stuff like this when it is cheep.

BKW

• 1 year later...

That is nice! You are missing the salt and pepper shakers and eating utensils. The shakers go in the spring clips top shelf as do the utensils. As I understand it B-29 crews used this most often. Remember aircraft run on a different current so check it out with an electrician if you plan to run it.

The predecessor was the Type B-2 Food Warmer introduced in 1944. I'm suspecting this was a designation revision probably post 1947 to the FTG. This stands for Food Tray Galley The warmer was used for aircraft that flew long range missions, with the B-29 Very Heavy Bomber and later with B-52's and so on with the Strategic Air Forces in the Cold War era. I think you'll find it to be a common accessory in those 1950's and probably later strategic long-range bombers.

Its not a "galley" or cooking apparatus but rather a food warmer. Meals and food are pre-prepared then placed in this device which is plugged into the aircraft's electrical system to keep it warm until it is consumed. The units that preceded this were actual "galleys" to where you can actually cook food. Through WWII there was inherent problem with feeding while in flight, many alternatives were tried but ultimately failed or impractical. This warmer was the ultimate suitable outcome from an expedited experimentation process when it comes to hot food. It served the best resolution and remained in service for some time. The alternate was to simply provided cold meals such as sandwiches, snacks and even standard K-Rations

The predecessor was the Type B-2 Food Warmer introduced in 1944. I'm suspecting this was a designation revision probably post 1947 to the FTG. This stands for Food Tray Galley The warmer was used for aircraft that flew long range missions, with the B-29 Very Heavy Bomber and later with B-52's and so on with the Strategic Air Forces in the Cold War era. I think you'll find it to be a common accessory in those 1950's and probably later strategic long-range bombers.

Its not a "galley" or cooking apparatus but rather a food warmer. Meals and food are pre-prepared then placed in this device which is plugged into the aircraft's electrical system to keep it warm until it is consumed. The units that preceded this were actual "galleys" to where you can actually cook food. Through WWII there was inherent problem with feeding while in flight, many alternatives were tried but ultimately failed or impractical. This warmer was the ultimate suitable outcome from an expedited experimentation process when it comes to hot food. It served the best resolution and remained in service for some time. The alternate was to simply provided cold meals such as sandwiches, snacks and even standard K-Rations

Dustin is correct.The 115 plug would be used in the mess hall when prepping it with food and the 27 volt when plugged into the aircraft. The "data tags" are not the type used in WW2.

There are other details that lead me to it not being WWII, First is the door. On the WWII version it is stamped DO NOT PLACE IN WATER about 1-inch tall. The biggest give away is the food trays and cups are not the type used in the WWII version, they are completely different, plus there are other subtle details of the whole container that differ.

phantomfixer

I think the 7009 is/ could be the tail number of the aircraft this FTG was assigned to.... it would have been on the aircraft's inventory for weight and balance purposes

nice piece of Air Force history...