Troop C 2nd Cav Recon Sqr 2nd Cav Group KIA PH

scottplen

Pvt 2nd Cav Recon Sqr KIA Feb 21 1945 near Grevenmacher Luxembourg

Killed by 3rd Degree burns I assume he was a crewman of a light tank or m8 scout car

Anyone who has info please let me know

He was 26th years old

What division would he have been under ???

Picture from online source school yearbook

He was from Mt Washington PA

post-620-0-24985400-1461885552.jpg

post-620-0-66555500-1461885580.jpg

post-620-0-34284100-1461885598.jpg

post-620-0-04586800-1461885626.jpg

SKYLINE DRIVE

Pvt. William J. Hines Jr. was KIA during the reduction of the Saar-Moselle Triangle by Patton's XX Corps, commanded by General Walker. The 94th Infantry Division broke through the German defenses on February 19th and the 10th Armored Division exploited the breakthrough, attacking along the ridge lines running to the N-E, towards Trier, on the following day. The 2nd. Cavalry Groups mission seems to have been either, to screen the Luxembourg-German frontier, running along the Moselle river, against German counterattacks, or doing reconnaissance missions for the 10th Armored, both classical Cavalry jobs. I'm sorry but I don't have any detailed informations at hand. You could always try to get in touch with Ryan Meyer, the curator of the 2nd Cavalry reed Museum in Vilseck/Germany! He's a great guy and I'm confident will help you in any way he can!

Cheers

Tom

(Sorry I can't upload a better version of the map, due to the size restrictions)

post-82906-0-32436800-1461933264.jpg

SKYLINE DRIVE

Thanks skyline drive !! So was he attached to 10th Armored ?

They were either attached to the 10th Armored or operating on their own, it's hard to say withour more information at hand. The way the unit is marked on the map I would dare to say they were operating on their own, on a screening mission. The other variant can't be excluded though.

• 4 weeks later...
westernfed

Hi Scott,

Great medal, I was unfortunately unable to find any information on him (yet), he is listed in the 1945 written WWII History of the Regiment's roster of KIA's but not under any of the individual troop rosters in the back of the book, I am not positive which troop rosters they were using for the book (they could be as of 1945 for instance).

I did find him mentioned in combat interviews but only listed as a KIA for the period with no other real information besides location and it gave his ASN (let me know if you need either) again no troop but he is under 2d Recon Squadron.

The Second Cavalry Group consisted of two squadrons (2nd and 42nd) and each squadron consisted of three recon troops (A,B,C) which had M8 Greyhounds, and jeeps (a few half tracks and other vehicles as well) and a E Troop which was their assault gun troop (M8 Scott's) and a F company (not troop) which was their tank company that consisted of M-5 Stuarts and then M-24 light tanks (post battle of the bulge). At the end of the war the squadrons were given a D troop which was a infantry troop. All this is to explain that he could have been a M8 Greyhound crew member but there were other types of vehicles as well and it would depend on what troop/company he was assigned to.

Along with mounted mechanized operations the Group also performed a lot of small unit dismounted missions (recon, intel gathering like prisoner snatches for instance). Point being, if he was killed due to a hit to his vehicle I would expect to see other members of the crew killed or wounded as well and there was not mention of that in the records. Please send me your email address and I will forward you the pages from the reports that mention him and the general description of what was going on that day for the squadron.

I saw your inquiry on the museum's Facebook page but for some reason it would not allow me to respond. I hope its alright that I did it here.

Take care

Ryan

Fantastic snapshot of history to a trooper from the oldest continuously serving active duty regiment in the Army; or as it is known today as the oldest continuously serving mounted regiment in the United States Army. As a side note the Regiment celebrated its 180th anniversary 23 May

An amazing find to a historically significant regiment

Always Ready