AAF vet bring backs: Nazi coins and early war Nazi standarte flag

24th_infantry

24th_infantry

So I picked up these few items from the caretaker of a 96 year old AAF veteran. Next week I will be receiving his uniform too. At this time I got some background info about him. He was a corporal in the AAF stationed in England and later Germany. During the occupation he took care of an orphaned girl. I have three photos of him during the war, including one group photo, and a photo of him more recently. I also have about 100 or more German coins (most of them brandishing the swastika). The most impressive part of this grouping is the flag. Its an NSBO flag with the town name "Lu-Sud 6" embroidered on a black patch. I believe the number 6 refers to the district. Any help explaining what this flag is would be greatly appreciated. The swastika and circle are both separately sewn onto the flag, making this flag an extremely early. It has silver tassels on three sides but unfortunately the rings are missing for the flag pole. Overall, its a very impressive and more difficult to find flag. I'm really excited to get the veteran's uniform in a week. I will post that next! Feel free to ask questions. I'd also like to find out the value on such a flag for insurance. Thanks again for looking!

post-88080-0-94764900-1461814162.jpg

post-88080-0-91927900-1461814167.jpg

post-88080-0-18497000-1461814186.jpg

post-88080-0-08439100-1461814193.jpg

At some point they pivoted the swastika 45 degrees right? That would make this earlier rather than later. Any idea what AAF unit he was with?

Proud Kraut

"Lu" could very well be the abrevation for the city of Ludwigshafen (so it is today). So it would be a chapter or district "Ludwigshafen south. No. 6".

Your first sentence is setting off alarms for me. I would be extremely cautious getting veterans items from a "caretaker". Living in Florida with the large aging population that we have here it seems pretty routine to see stories about a supposed caretaker stealing an elderly persons life long possessions and even their last dollar, happened to someone in our neighborhood and also my wife and I stopped it before it was to late happening to our direct neighbor.

CB

24th_infantry

Thank you for your concerns. I took thought about that. For that reason I am actually meeting the veteran, the caretaker is very excited for me to meet him and interview him. He has no family and wantes his items to find a good home.

Your first sentence is setting off alarms for me. I would be extremely cautious getting veterans items from a "caretaker". Living in Florida with the large aging population that we have here it seems pretty routine to see stories about a supposed caretaker stealing an elderly persons life long possessions and even their last dollar, happened to someone in our neighborhood and also my wife and I stopped it before it was to late happening to our direct neighbor.

CB

USCapturephotos

Great flag and all the better that you will be meeting the veteran who brought it home. Any history about him that you can put with the flag makes it so much more valuable in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...