APH-6/A flight helmet BLACK ACES? vietnam?

Niki

Hi all,

This is the other helmet that i found at the militaria fair in Belgium .

I think beqause there is a black aces of spades on the helmet that this helmet is from the VF-41 black aces sqdrn ?

But i don't know in what era this was used in? vietnam? and in what kind of aircraft the pilot was flying in?

So if anybody can help, that would be great and sorry for always asking for information but i was not lucky enough to live in the right era of time when these helmets where used :D .

thx,

niki

post-158693-0-94828600-1461610703.jpg

post-158693-0-10327000-1461610714.jpg

post-158693-0-69824000-1461610725.jpg

post-158693-0-42847500-1461610732.jpg

If the other markings are orange, as they appear to me, I would say more likely VA-196 "main battery". They were flying A6 Intruders.

northcoastaero

Nice helmet! I agree with VA-196 Main Battery squadron from around 1968 to late Vietnam in this configuration. The helmet

has been modified with the Sierra rams horn one piece dual visor kit and would be redesignated APH-6B (with foam/leather ear

cups) or APH-6C with plastic ear cups. Looks like there may have been a boom microphone attached to the right side at one time?

The hose end connector for the MS-22001 oxygen mask for use with the A-6 Intruder aircraft using the Martin-Baker GRU-5 ejection

seat would be a green colored Grumman oxygen connector. The connector looks like a USAF cylindrical quick disconnect, but

unscrews in the center and later ones could be modified with a black screen filter inside. The GRU-7 ejection seat introduced

the later mini-regulator and high pressure lower locking type REDAR/Oxytronics hose with the A-6 acft. Maybe this pilot or B/N

Bombardier Navigator with the checkerboard design could have been the inspiration for the Boxman character in the book/movie

Flight of the Intruder? Is there a contract date on a sticker underneath the front edge of the visor housing? Maybe

someone on the forum can research cruise books form 1968-1973 and find the pilot or BN?

Hi,

I don't think that it's from VA 196, I have two helmets from this squadron from 1967-68 and 1974 cruises and the design is different, VA 196 never used checkerboard. Yours should had been used after 1971 because of the strobelight velcro on the visor.

You should try to search photos of VS 28 crews flying S2 in early 70s it could be from this squadron I think.

Best Croc

Back in that period there was more personalization allowed so I think it would be possible to be from 196. Of course, absent a photo to compare there is no way to be sure. Also, the CO's wishes have to be considered. It is not unusual for a new CO to come in and make changes to designs on helmets and aircraft.

northcoastaero

VS-28 could be a possibility I guess. The S-2 Tracker used the P/N 2009 communications cable on the helmet? I remember reading years ago that Stephen Coonts stated that most of the VA-196 helmets had different designs and some of them had checkerboard on the visor housing. This led to the Boxman character in the book/ movie Flight of the Intruder. Also, I have seen A-6 Intruder flight helmets with boom microphones early-mid war and there is a possibility that they were deleted on most ejection seat aircraft by the end of the conflict. The

MC-3A hose end connector on the MS-22001 oxygen mask would be used with the S-2 Tracker/E-1B Tracer/C-1A Trader aircraft. Interesting

debate!

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info and thats why i go to you guys for this kind of info.

In no way i can get this info and i dont know how to begin.

So northcoastaero, you thinks its from VS-28 with S-2 Trackers but on the web i can not see pictures of pilots from this unit?

And also with pictures of VA-196 with A-6 intruders as Tleo thinks.

one more question ; i have seen that sometimes they putt additional ramhorns on US flight helmets ,why is that? better design?

northcoastaero

I guess that the dual visor assy. was very popular when it first was introduced into service because of having both clear and tinted lenses without having to have the aircrew, parachute riggers, or life support change out the lenses like on single visor helmets. However, the dual visor kits/helmets were heavier and later on, these helmets were usually used by attack pilots/aircrews and other non-fighter pilots/aircrews.