Vera Cruz Medal of Honor to Marine LtCol Wendell Neville

Dave

I could have combined this thread with the Medal of Honor to John Hughes, but I felt both needed their own.

Wendell Neville commanded the Marines at Vera Cruz and later became the 14th Commandant of the Marine Corps, passing away while he was in that office.

His Medal of Honor was awarded for Vera Cruz with the following citation:

For distinguished conduct in battle engagements of Vera Cruz 21 and April 22, 1914. In command of the Second Regiment Marines, Lieutenant Colonel Neville was in both days' fighting and almost continually under fire from soon after landing, about noon on the 21st, until we were in possession of the city, about noon of the 22d. His duties required him to be at points of great danger in directing his officers and men, and he exhibited conspicuous courage, coolness and skill in his conduct of the fighting. Upon his courage and skill depended, in great measure, success or failure. His responsibilities were great and he met them in a manner worthy of commendation.

These photos were taken and posted with the direct permission of the National Museum of the Marine Corps.

Click on the image for the full-sized rendition.

nev1.jpg

Brian Dentino

Dave, these posts are absolutely amazing......both the photography and the medals/history shown. Thanks so much for taking the time to show these very unique medals to those of us here who have not been fortunate enough to see before. Must have been an amazing honor for you to be allowed to photograph these USMC treasures!

I've really enjoyed the photos you've been showing the last few days. How many MoHs do they have? How many of these are currently on display, and how many did they get out of storage for you?

I've really enjoyed the photos you've been showing the last few days. How many MoHs do they have? How many of these are currently on display, and how many did they get out of storage for you?

First - thanks to everyone for the kind words! I'm really glad you have all enjoyed these! They are amazing pieces of our national history.

CorsairAce - They probably have around 40 or so MOHs. These were all in storage. There were some I didn't photograph as I ran out of time. I also didn't shoot any of their Civil War or other post-CW (pre-20th century) ones...to be honest I was overwhelmed and completely forgot about that drawer! I was only there to photograph Purple Hearts, but after talking to the curator and asking nicely to photograph the others (and after exhibiting that I knew how to handle them...) I photographed as many as I could. I could have spent the whole day there, but had to rush off to photograph a posthumous USPHS Purple Heart (now if you want rare...) :)