Named Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals to USMCWR and Women Marines

Bruce Linz

Here are the medals and ribbons to Master Sergeant Blossom Jean McCall. MSgt McCall initially enlisted in the USMCWR on 07 January 1945 and was discharged on 17 July 1947. She later reenlisted in the Marine Corps on 15 August 1948 and retired on 07 July 1972. MSgt McCall was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal.

This is the only named Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, to a Women Marine, I have in my collection.

McCall 01.JPG

McCall 02.JPG

McCall 04.JPG

McCall 05.JPG

McCall 03.JPG

Rakkasan187

Bruce,

That is a wonderful looking medal grouping. Nice to see that our Women were recognized as well..

I don't ever recall seeing a named GCM to a Woman Marine, Soldier or Sailor...

Leigh

• 3 years later...

Here is the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal with "Second Award" Bar to Roberta Jane (nee Fisk) Mayo. She married Auldin Troy Mayo on 20 September 1947 in Arlington, Virginia. The USMC muster rolls show her being awarded a GCM on 30 October 1947. The muster rolls for January 1948 show her named officially changed to Mayo on 15 January.

Mayo 02.jpg

Front view of Mayo's GCM with bar.

This is only the seventh example of a Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal awarded to a Woman Marine.

Mayo 01.jpg

• 3 years later...
Marine Grunt 0311

I'm late to this discussion but can add that I also have WW II era Woman Marine GCM dated 1946 and named to Barbara Meredith, along with transmittal letter accompanying medal.  Am seeking any info on the GCMs awarded WW I Woman Marines...anybody???

Hello,

Can you post a photo of the back of this medal and the transmittal letter?  I know of only one Marine Good Conduct Medal award to a WWI Woman Marine.  Private Minnie Evangeline Wright, Medal No. 71738, 1st Enlistment.

Please see this thread for more information.