Selling large items.

bheskett

I am looking to sell a couple of larger items. I have a couple field desks, large surgical light from a field hospital and a camouflage hex net. What is the best way to go about selling these things. I could use some advice on shipping and packing etc.

Thanks Bob

Unless they are something rare or extremely valuable criaglist is your best bet, shipping is generally to costs since it has to go fedex!

I have shipped several large and heavy items stateside and overseas. The first thing is being able to find a box large and sturdy enough for the item. Unless you want to pay a lot for a large box at FedEx, Uhaul etc I would put two together to make the size you need. Even buying a box they don't necessarily meet the need and have a lot of extra space. With a little thought you can do it and glue the joints don't rely on tape. You want some padding but not too much as all the shippers have a size and weight restriction unless you want to pay a lot more for shipping. For large heavy items FedEx and UPS are the cheapest. Large light items USPS is usually the cheapest. Anything oversea I always use the Post Office as they will be the cheapest. It pays to compare first though. I almost always ship Priority when using the Post Office unless it is over a certain size and weight then Parcel is cheaper. Until it meets the size threshold the difference between Priority and Parcel isn't that much. Of all the items I have shipped overseas I think I have had only one complain about the shipping cost.

Ray

Thanks guys for the feedback and advice. I am thinking Craigslist will be my best option. I like the idea of the buyer coming to pick it up.

Bob

BOB

THERE is this option as well for large items.Maybe possible to connect with someone going through your area and to or close to the buyer and a deal can be made.I knew a local guy who worked doing deliveries of used HD

motorcycles and went all over the US picking them up to go to a large dealer in Texas.Same with cars.I know at times he would deliver something if the person receiving would meet him at a convenient location.

https://www.uship.com/

Also heard you can ship through Bus at the bus terminals for bigger items.

I shipped a WW1 trunk group once. I was able to find a card board box to fit it in to give the trunk some protection.To safe guard it I had access to a steel strap hand crimper and strapping.I then shipped it UPS truck.

At work there was times we recieved or shipped items in crates made of pine or we had to cut down or modify a crate we got to reship something.

Ron

Thanks very much. I though you were going to tell me you were coming for a visit and buying my field desks and light. I would even put you up for the night and make you dinner :dry:

Bob

Ron

Thanks very much. I though you were going to tell me you were coming for a visit and buying my field desks and light. I would even put you up for the night and make you dinner :dry:

Bob

How could a guy refuse that offer?

If they can get me in the luggage compartments on the bus I will plan the trip...:D

General Apathy

I am looking to sell a couple of larger items. I have a couple field desks, large surgical light from a field hospital and a camouflage hex net. What is the best way to go about selling these things. I could use some advice on shipping and packing etc.

Thanks Bob

Hi Bob, should you sell outside USA, my experiences shipping to the USA, hope that you don't encounter this.

about six years ago I made up my own wooden crate using brand new sheet timber to ship a consignment to the US as I had done maybe eight or ten time before. When I got to the shipping company at the airport and they saw the crate they asked where it was going, I replied the USA, Not in that crate was the response. Appears since I last shipped all timber crates ( and pallets ) going to the US had to be heat treated and certificated, to prevent insect infestation.

They gave me the name of a company that would make the crate for me and certificate it, cost 650 UK pounds about 900 US dollars, that ate into the goods that I was shipping. So I am not certain if this would apply shipping out of the USA.

Here's the kicker, there no US requirement such as I know, regarding shipping insect ridden antique wooden furniture to the US . . . . . .

All the best lewis.

Thanks for the replays. All this kind of scares me I think I will go with Craigslist or go to reenactments in the area.

Thanks for the replays. All this kind of scares me I think I will go with Craigslist or go to reenactments in the area.

Thats good start.It can be a bit daunting dealing with larger items.

I had a couple the Vietnam era field desks that were like a shipping trunk.Ended up selling one to a co-worker for his garage and the other at a local fleamarket 20 miles away.I had lost some storage when the sister sold my moms place and they had to go didnt have the room for them.

Putting it on Craigs list also gives you the ability to connect with others who may attend the reenactments.Also you can put in the add you are open to delivering with in a 25 mile(or certain) area or meet.

I have often thought a person could have a small business doing delivery of items for a fee within a small area.There are people who dont drive or unable to and many dont have the resources like a oickup or traile to haul items

Ron

That sounds like good advice....So does this mean you will not be over for dinner :D

Have to catch a bus and one hasnt stopped on the bridge lately.

Kurt Barickman

I have sold about 6 trunk groupings. I took them to a Pack and Ship and have the buyer pay for the postage and insurance; it isn't cheap.

Kurt

Or you could just consign them at your local auction house. You would be surprised what military brings in some areas. Especially trunks.... We sold about 20 of them a few years ago and they went for about 50$ a piece. Still can't figure that one out.

I used to sell large car parts and ship them through the greyhound terminal. I could ship a while VW roof or front end clip for like $50. And the size limit is large, like 65" or something.

You can put it on ebay and mark it for LOCAL PICKUP ONLY.

I had a WWI Curtiss Jenny prop I listed like that: I got contacted by a woman in Canada who wanted it and offered to pay me for my time to pack it, and she provided her FedEx account number to pay for the shipping (the way that works I did not see what the shipping cost was, but I can only imagine an 8-foot long prop going from San Diego to Toronto was not going cheap). I was able to put three long, narrow shipping boxes together to hold the bubble-wrapped prop, and I charged her an extra $60 or so for labor and packing materials. Here's the prop: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/197227-wwi-curtiss-jn-4-jenny-propeller/

Anything and everything can be shipped if the buyer is willing to pay for it.