A Balloon Wing

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Happy Saturday all,
I took a chance on these,and I think that I did OK.When I initially saw them I recalled a Pilot Wing from my collection that has the same "scalloped" back appearance,so I decided to throw a bid on them.Well they just arrived today and look better in hand than the sellers pics depicted them.They passed the "magnet" test,so I'm thinking that they are Silver.

I found a similar example on the superb "WW2 Wings site" here :

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/balloon/mgballoonpilot.shtml

So here they are,sorry for the image quality,sellers' pics.I'll post better images soon.

post-13386-0-62604800-1461443314.jpg

Hi,

I have a similar wing with the US. I have always liked my wing, but I have to be honest and say it isn't a universal opinion. Of my "wing gurus" it splits about 50:50, maybe 40:60 for it not being vintage.

Your wing has some nice things going for it, especially the pin and catch. There are some wings in this pattern that are fakes or restrikes.

I think you have to kind of decide whether or not its good for your own collection.

post-1519-0-35254500-1461604809.jpg

That catch pin on the 2nd always scares me as it seems similar to many copies like the wein*garten wings....

firefighter

PC nice looking wings. Is that a drop in catch? I hate buying wings, unless they're dirt cheap. So hard, at least for me, if real or re-strikes.

Patchcollector

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for posting your example and chiming in on the Wing.As soon as I had it in hand I decided it was a "keeper" and I will be holding on to it.

Seeing the similar example on the WW2 Wings site was encouraging too.

I like this pattern,with the blunt wingtips.It is thick and heavy and well made.

Hopefully I will be able to post some detailed photos soon.

Patchcollector

I had a chance to take some photos of my Balloon Wing today.Due to a rare late Spring "cold" front that made it through the weather here is glorious,so I went outside to get some "daylight" view images.

post-13386-0-55688700-1462492633.jpg

Patchcollector

Bottom view

I think I may be imagining it,but I thought that there was lettering on the bottom of the Balloon!

post-13386-0-83289900-1462492742.jpg

5thwingmarty

There are some differences between your wing and that on Bob's site. The fronts look the same but the backs show that different pressing dies were used. Another copy of this wing is available again on ebay. It looks just like yours and even had the drop in catch, but it has also been stamped Sterling and has the letters CWP stamped in it. I think there was a thread about that wing when it was offered previously.

Patchcollector

There are some differences between your wing and that on Bob's site. The fronts look the same but the backs show that different pressing dies were used. Another copy of this wing is available again on ebay. It looks just like yours and even had the drop in catch, but it has also been stamped Sterling and has the letters CWP stamped in it. I think there was a thread about that wing when it was offered previously.

Yes,there are a few differences between my Wing and the one on the WW2 Wings site.That is why I used the word "similar" twice,in posts #1 and #6.And Patricks example has differences too.I've not yet seen two of this pattern that are exactly alike! :lol:

I can't speak to the Wing that you saw on eBay,I can only speak for mine,and I like it.