Smedley Butler's Medals

Dave

While I was photographing posthumous Purple Hearts for my upcoming book at the National Museum of the Marine Corps, I came across Smedley Butler's medals and asked to photograph them. Thus, to follow, are the reverses of both of his Medals of Honor, plus the bar of his other awards, and an edge shot of those awards. I apologize in advance...I edited these on my laptop so it might not be the greatest and I also took the photos of the medal bar with my iPhone as it wouldn't fit in my photo box. Anyway...enjoy these medals of one of the greatest military heroes of our nation!

sb1.jpg

His full-sized medal bar. Note the medals are very, very clean. I was almost thinking they were replacements, but the engraving looks correct and the ribbons do have some vintage wear to them, so I believe these were worn like this.

sb3.jpg

Finally, the edges.

Please note that these are currently in storage, thus why the bar is situated like it is.

These images were posted with direct permission from the National Museum of the Marine Corps.

sb4.jpg

You can also click on the images for a full-sized view (particularly beneficial with the edge numbering!)

His full-sized medal bar. Note the medals are very, very clean. I was almost thinking they were replacements, but the engraving looks correct and the ribbons do have some vintage wear to them, so I believe these were worn like this.

The correct numbering style of the various campaign medals would suggest these are his original issued medals, not later replacements.

Great photos Dave, thanks! It is interesting that he used solder on the rings to try and keep them from moving, I have never seen that before.

Thanks all! I am really glad you like them!

I have more images of medals I took there, and will edit and post those up as well.

The museum staff is wonderful and I was extremely honored to spend a morning there, being in the presence of some of our Marine Corps heroes!

Dave;

You continue to amaze.

The quality of the things you post is only exceeded by the generosity you display in sharing them with us.

Eagerly awaiting your next publication.

Many thanks for the your many contributions to the forum, and to my personal education.

Ed

On a related topic, any chance that you got some photos of any of the 4 Tiffany Cross MOHs that are in the collection of the Museum of the Marine Corps.

Dave,

I'm glad that you posted these for the group as I really enjoyed drooling over the photos of these earlier this week. As Ed said, thanks for sharing them. I find it interesting that the Marine Brevet is worn in the third position on the ribbon bar, but the ribbon was worn directly behind his two Medals of Honor on his ribbon bars. I'm sure that someone here can explain the reasoning behind that.

Ed- I'll bet that if you've been a good boy, there MIGHT be some goodies posted later. :rolleyes:

Allan

I rarely do "great grouping" posts, but in this case I'll make an exception. Thank you Dave for posting one of the most outstanding groups a USMC collector could ever hope to see. Without this most of us would never be able to see this historic group from a true legend of Corps. CMH (not one, but TWO!!), Brevet Medal, and all the wonderful jewels which follow, complete with numbers.

Thanks for that.

Steve

This is just too awesome for words. These photos are just freakin' incredible. How fantastic it must have been to actually hold these historic pieces. I'm insanely jealous. Thank you a million times for taking them and posting them. This is al,oat too good to believe.

aerialbridge

Stellar photography, Dave. With 15 medals on a single bar, is that the most you're aware of for a US group? Must be a foot from stem to stern. And not just the ribbons are pristine, but the medals look minty. I guess he didn't wear it often..

On a related topic, any chance that you got some photos of any of the 4 Tiffany Cross MOHs that are in the collection of the Museum of the Marine Corps.

Ed-

I saw them and thought "Ed would like to see these..." So I photographed them :)

Dave