US Weapons Captured by the Axis

Normandy1944

This is a great thread with a lot of interest and activity.

What would make it better would be if everyone included links to where they are drawing these images from on the internet.

That is both a courtesy to the original owner, and to provide a link to additional information that might help expand the conversation.

Watercooled Browning picture above is not a US made weapon or model but is the Norwegian M29 Browning manufactured in Norway on its unique tripod tripod.

Quest Master

They are not AT-6 "Texans". They are North American NA-64 "Yale" aircraft. The NA-64 P-2 was built for the French Armée de l'Air and Aéronavale in 1939–1940, which ordered 200 and 30 respectively. Of these, 111 had been delivered before France surrendered to the Germany. The NA-64s captured from the French were used by the German Luftwaffe for all types of flight training, from basic flying to advanced fighter tactics.

They are not AT-6 "Texans". They are North American NA-64 "Yale" aircraft. The NA-64 P-2 was built for the French Armée de l'Air and Aéronavale in 1939–1940, which ordered 200 and 30 respectively. Of these, 111 had been delivered before France surrendered to the Germany. The NA-64s captured from the French were used by the German Luftwaffe for all types of flight training, from basic flying to advanced fighter tactics.

Thank you for looking that up. One visual clue is the fixed landing gear and "spats" surrounding the wheels.

This article gives a nice list of the uses the Germans came up with their captured NA-64's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_NA-64_Yale

Normandy1944

Thanks for the information about these planes guys.

Here are some more. (source:http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=524026)

post-106958-0-89532700-1461824962.jpg

post-106958-0-92695200-1461824965.jpg

And I found this color photo of a German P38. (source:http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/394/KFC.aspx)

post-106958-0-05894300-1461825344.jpg

Really an odd arrangement of weapons....The guy in the hat standing on the back of the truck is holding a Tokarev rifle w/bayonet folded outward.....Bodes

• 10 months later...

Got this one in a book I have on the German account of the Italian Theater, was looking at it again today after around 4-5 years of it being shelved, and spied this, so had to scan it for everyone.

post-34986-0-28218800-1490413851_thumb.jpg

A German Paratrooper of the 1st Parachute Division in the Cassino area in early 44, he has three hand granades at hand, one of them as we see is an American pineapple.

I wondered the same... T-6 Texan doesn't seem to be the most likely plane to be overseas, comparatively speaking...!

Say... isn't that Illinois Nazi using a captured CB radio??

Those are not T6 Texans....I don't think. That is the model that preceded the Texan. Maybe used as trainers in some country the Germans over ran. I don't know why they would use American trainers but otherwise why would they be there?

I just read post #71.... dang I feel smart now.lol

Ronnie

Garandomatic

No problem, I had to go back and familiarize myself with this old post. I still maintain that German markings and camo schemes on US aircraft is about the most aesthetically displeasing thing I've seen in a while. They look just fine, sometimes rather cool, on German planes, but man...

• 7 months later...

Lets see, another Axis use of a Allied weapon. Japanese this time in Burma, the troops at order arms, we see the fourth from the right is armed with a M1928 Sub machine gun. No date on the photo, but chances are it was formally either a British or an Indian weapon pick up.

post-34986-0-76474500-1511405298_thumb.jpg

I am reading that the Brits had a number of Thompson's during the fighting in Malaysia and Singapore, so there is a good chance you are correct.

Nice to see this switch from Germans using American weapons to Japanese using American weapons.

Does anybody have more pictures of Japanese with captured weapons?

Nice to see this switch from Germans using American weapons to Japanese using American weapons.

Does anybody have more pictures of Japanese with captured weapons?

I guess it's the scope of the theaters, China maybe excepted, but photos and cine footage from the mid to late Pacific War is extremely rare in any event, considering they all died on their Island bastions, Burma and the Philippines too, seems any photos found were found after the fact by allied forces, and that's what we would need to see, don't think we'd find them in Japan, don't think they, the Japanese, were shipping or flying out film footage and rolls of stills, considering they couldn't even reinforce nor resupply themselves, no less evacuate wounded and sick back to Japan after a point.

Not the Germans right, tons of stuff from them, and from all fronts.

The Japanese took propaganda photos for consumption in the home islands. I am not sure why we do not see more of them.

Well if you go on YT, you'll see Japanese cine footage, but these are done in Japan itself. Any combat footage seen is from China, and or very early in the Pacific War, IE 1941-42, after......not anything, if anything then from China, but here I imagine stuff just wasn't being sent back after a while either. there was some cine footage on the old World at War series showing Japanese troops in the jungle, these wearing leaves and other foliage on their helmets, it's shown I seem to recall in Guadalcanal episode, not certain now if it was shot on the Canal, maybe earlier, in say Borneo or some other earlier triumph.

Plus the cine footage from Japan itself was shown in another episode, such as the Navy men who were lucky to have been sent back home after being wounded earlier in the war, probably the 1941-early 42 campaigns, having now recovered and are being sent back to duty, gather on a beach and sing a song to the Ocean, remember that one!.

• 1 month later...

post-34986-0-99166200-1515380140.jpg

Believe this is a still from that World at War episode footage mentioned earlier, description states New Guinea, if that's the case then more than likely one shot during the Salamaua–Lae March 1942.

• 6 months later...

Members of the 10.SS Panzer Division Frundsberg with retrieved M4 Tanks of the destroyed 43rd Tank Battalion,12th Armored Division after the Battle of Herrlisheim.

post-34986-0-99756800-1533351032_thumb.jpg

Garandomatic

They didn't get my buddy's Sherman from the 714th... But they tried!

Their tank was hit by a panzerfaust that set the .50 cal and its ammunition on fire and the platoon CO told them to bail out because it was cooking right above the fuel tanks on the Sherman, which was an M4A1 with a 75mm. They all bailed, not one of them hit even though the air was thick with bullets and the like. They hid in a basement and left, crammed into the space around the turret basket in tanks that had come up later. Howard mentioned that one model of tank had a full basket around, and one was relatively open.

Later on, his tank was seen to start up and head toward German lines. A Sherman down the street, which was a gradual bend, saw this and knew it wasn't right. Couple shots to the rear put it out of commission for good, and the tank thief was cut down when he bailed out, if memory serves.

And that's the story of the "Ghost Tank of Herrlisheim."