6th Marine Division Markings

belleau_woodsman

belleau_woodsman

Hey everyone!
Does anyone have any solid proof or ideas as what the circles the 6th Division Marines had on Okinawa were for? I am not finding anything at all. Thanks in advance!

Jason

post-156721-0-80890300-1461105110.jpg

belleau_woodsman

Artillery unit? 15th Marines?

I don't believe so. Most of the Marines in the pictures are clearly with Grunt units. It also doesn't look like the red circle that is "common" with the Arty guys. That's what has me scratching my head

Interesting thread! I enclose a photo of a marine on Okinawa with the same circle. I had assumed a prisoner when I first saw it, as this Marine is on bridge building duties, but seeing your photos it must be linked to a unit. A shame I cannot quite make out his name; we could have looked that up!

The 6th used a circle for their unit markings. I enclose a photo of a Jeep on Okinawa with the unit marking. Note the Jeep in the first photo has a unit marking on the front windscreen. Also I enclose a photo of a kit bag with unit marking I have named to an Okinawa vet. Maybe plausible to be linked to that??

Will be interested to hear from others!

Cheers, Graham

post-20528-0-17747000-1461137368.jpg

belleau_woodsman

Last photo. Can you make out his name?

attachicon.gifokinawa marking2 - Copy.jpg

Great picture!!! That is a very clear picture that shows it is not a stain but rather a deliberate marking. I have seen quite a few of the "circles" on sea bags and some gear. I have yet to see an actual HBT uniform with it on there. I do know, in the book "The Killing Fields of Okinawa" they make mention of being able to find the dead because of the circles on their uniforms and helmets. Thanks for sharing the photos, I hope we can collectively nail this down!

• 5 months later...

Maybe it was a discrete way of marking men of a higher rank without being obvious?

Jacob

• 2 months later...

I found a very probable answer whilst reading a fantastic book on the battle of Sugar Loaf Hill. It is the "Killing Ground on Okinawa" by James H Hallas. One paragraph states that when identifying bodies on sugar loaf, members of the 29th Marines had circles painted on the backs of their helmet covers and jackets. This is the only explanation I have seen.

This is one of the most vivid and compelling books I have read on Sugar Loaf. Humbling and educational. I highly recommend.

Thanks, Graham

post-20528-0-44986500-1484036556.jpg

post-20528-0-37798800-1484036572.jpg

belleau_woodsman

Graham,
I have also seen that, which is what first sparked my interest in that. However, it doesn't give us any clue of what it meant. Or it doesn't shed any light as to why some have it, and some don't. Sounds like you have the same itch as me :)

Jason