F-111 What is it?

usaf70

Looking for help identifying the instrument that came off an F-111 Aardvark from the 4427th TFRS.

It appears to be a camera control of some sort. The visible buttons say test, freeze, and what looks like desig.

The back side has a 1/2 inch button that says enable.

Radar related? Camera related? Smart bomb related?

Any help is appreciated.

post-388-0-27642700-1461037844.jpg

post-388-0-95309900-1461037844.jpg

northcoastaero

According to wikipedia.org, the 4427th Tactical Fighter Replacement Squadron flew the F-111D Aardvark from Cannon AFB in New Mexico since 1971. Your item could possibly be located on the far right console in the cockpit? I will have to do more research.

I'm going back 30+ years here... This device was on the WSO's side of the aircraft. They used this thing to do radar updates on the nav system.

Anybody have any cockpit pictures of this device? I've looked at some F-111 photos and haven't been able to see the device.

1SG_1st_Cav

Been to Cannon AFB in 1971 on ouyr way to White Sands, NM to test the US Army LANCE Missile System. They had great food in their messhall.

We got there again in 1972 on our way back to Ft Sill, OK. Same great food!

Ha Ha, it's called a Goat Turd Cursor Designator handle from the F-111D, with the Mark 2 avionics suite. Both the pilot and the WSO had one, on each cockpit side wall, (as well as a HUD for each crew member) This one looks like the WSO version because the pilots could fold up and stow out of the way when not in use. Perhaps some photos tomorrow, from my expert -- that guy is incredible.

Where is the item in question? There is a black device hanging from the WSO side of cockpit but it doesn't't look like the device pictured above. Maybe a newer model?

Looks like it to me. The thing on the plaque may just be a model of one. It was common at one time to use,for example, brass models of control sticks, etc.

Item on plaque is not model but actual item that was removed from aircraft.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with their ideas.

Any idea as to whether this item has much value?