1929-31 USS TULSA, Sterling, Bosun’s Call (aka Pipe, Whistle) to Aubrey V. Forsyth - China Sailor, Pearl Harbor

aerialbridge

These are commonly known as bosun’s (boatswain’s) pipes or whistles, but if you want to avoid sea-dogs getting fid up with you for a gaff, call one a bosun’s call. If anyone knows whether old sterling silver bosun's calls such as this one (and lanyards) were “g.i.” (and if so, who was issued one) or whether they were available for purchase from ship’s stores back in the old days, etc., that and other historical details are always appreciated.

post-18406-0-45989900-1460933231.jpg

aerialbridge

I was glad to buy this bosun’s call last year and repatriate it from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada to Southern California, where its original owner, Chief Boatswain’s mate Aubrey Van Sciver Forsyth, called San Diego home. Aubrey had one child, a four-year Navy vet who died in 1978, the same year as Aubrey’s widow and several years after his death. Likely this nicely engraved bosun’s call left the family long ago. The guy I bought it from had it for many years but knew nothing about its history. I have two other bosun’s calls- a nickel plated German -made that was a gift in the early 70’s from my late uncle, a USPHS RADM and a 50’s navy one that came with a small medal group. But the sound from this one blows them both away.

Aubrey was one of the children of Dora and Daniel W. Forsyth Sr., born in Camden, NJ on either 16 January 1901 or 19 September 1898. His father appears in every US census from 1860 to 1910—except 1900 (of course). His baptismal record from Philadelphia lists his name as “Aubrey Samuel Forsyth” and date of birth 19 September 1898. That is the birthdate he wrote in his 1918 draft registration, when he was living at 815 Market St. in Camden with his widowed mother and working as a brakeman for the Pennsylvania Railroad. The 1910 census lists his age as 11. However, the 1920 census shows him still living at home, age 19 and working as a railroad brakeman.

Navy officer registers in WW2 list his birthdate as 1/16/1901 as does the Social Security Death Index, a consular marriage certificate from China in 1931 and his tombstone. His earliest re-enlistment in ancestry muster rolls is 8 February 1933. But thanks to Adam’s research on another USS Tulsa sailor, Forsyth’s prior re-enlistment of 7 February 1927 and first muster date of 9 November 1929 to USS Tulsa (PG-22) is documented.

It’s likely that Aubrey’s first enlistment was on or about 7 February 1923, so that by 1931 (possibly a year or so earlier) he was a boatswain’s mate first class (BM 1/c). That is the rate he’s wearing in a Tulsa crew photo taken at Hsin- Ho, China, twenty-five miles downstream from Tientsin on 20 July 1931, where his right shoulder “crow” is clearly visible. It’s also the rate that’s engraved on his bosun’s call.

Nine years later, Forsyth is “chief boats” in a crew photo of the Mahan-class destroyer USS Reid (DD-369) not long after she made the trek from San Diego to her new homeport at Pearl Harbor. In both photos, Aubrey staked out the same spot—the extreme right foreground. So he is in the lower left corner of each photo, the man farthest left. In the 1931 Tulsa photo, he’s grinning at the end of a two-deep row of Marines. (“Don’t worry about my best side. Just make sure you get the crow.”) Back then, the Chinese photo studios generally had great equipment, German lenses I’d bet, and did good work on the crew photos for the Navy. About a possible reason for the grin, more in a minute.

The Tulsa crew photo comes from the “navitaria” of a shipmate, then Sailmaker’s mate second class (SMM 2/c) James Henry Norwood who is on the bridge, second window from the left. In a May 1929 Tulsa crew photo, Norwood also staked out a spot on the bridge, but at the far right window. I was able to find Aubrey Forsyth in the Tulsa and Reid crew photos thanks to the USS Reid Assoc. website that had the 1938 Panama and 1965 crew reunion photos posted.

I have various Navy items from three Tulsa PO 1/c’s during the late ‘20s, early ‘30s. Coincidentally, each married Russian ex-pats living in China. And I’m aware of at least one other who took a Russian bride while on Tulsa. Aubrey’s wife was Alexandra Timofeievna Mironova, who was either two or four years his junior, depending which birth date you go with. They were married at the US Consulate in Tientsin, China on Saturday, 25 July 1931. The Tulsa crew photo was taken the previous Monday. So, was he smiling about getting hitched or remembering the China sailor bachelor party a couple nights before? To his defense, we can only guess. I also wonder whether Alexandra had anything to do with the quality of engraving on Aubrey’s call.

Fortunately, the marriage “took”. That or Aubrey followed the US Consul’s orders not to part until death, which came forty years later. Back at Bethany United Methodist Church in Philadelphia (next to Camden), he was promoted from probationer to full member in February 1931. An upstanding China sailor, if ever there was.

Being a medal collector, I’ve wondered about what/ where his medals are. Aubrey joined Tulsa in early November 1929 after the gunboat had been part of the Asiatic fleet since February or March that year. He was still aboard the ship at the end of March 1932 so he would have received the Yangtze Service Medal for service during the Tulsa’s initial qualifying period 21 Jan ‘32- 01 Apr ‘32. It would be great to see Forsyth’s medals, particularly a 1920’s good conduct medal with a few bars, his Yangtze, and PTO with at least one star- for Pearl Harbor.

Aubrey attached to the USS Reid (DD-369) on 11 March 1938, appearing in the 3/31/39 muster roll as Chief Boatswain’s Mate (CBM). He reenlisted for four years on 15 December 1939 at San Diego shortly before the destroyer sailed for Pearl Harbor. Reid’s gunners are credited with scratching one Japanese aircraft. Forsyth was given temporary warrant officer rank of Boatswain from 1/31/42, later Chief Boatswain and then advanced to LT (jg) on 7/15/44. Aubrey detached from USS Reid in 1942, a couple years before the destroyer was sunk at Leyte by kamikazes on 11 December 1944.

Further details of his WW2 service are unknown, though he apparently remained in the Pacific Theater, based on a muster roll from the repair ship, USS Sarpedon on 8 May 1946, showing his rank as lieutenant and returning to the US (San Diego) from Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. Sarpedon had been scheduled to participate in the nuclear tests in the Pacific, but those orders were cancelled.

Aubrey Forsyth retired from the Navy soon after. The 1947 San Diego city directory shows his home at 4945 Mansfield with his wife, Alexandra, and working as a custodian at John Adams School. He’s still working as of the ’64 directory and retired by ’68, the next one available. He was active in the Fleet Reserve Assoc., Officers Club, USS Reid Survivor’s Assoc. and Shriners. Aubrey passed away on December 18, 1971 and is buried at Greenwood cemetery in San Diego along with his wife and son. Since his obituary states he was a 38- year resident of San Diego, it makes sense that he detached from Tulsa sometime during 1932-33 and was transferred to the Pacific Fleet where he and his wife set up permanent residence in San Diego.

Now, I have to either attempt to tie my own lanyard (is there an app for that?) worthy of Aubrey Forsyth’s bosun’s call (good luck) or buy a fancy lanyard tied by an experienced, marlinspike sailor or a vintage “g.i.” lanyard (assuming such were issued back then). Either way, I hope to find natural braided line (not synthetic) like what they used back in 1930. Any suggestions on where to get such line is appreciated. (And not thirty feet of water-line, I’m wise to that :blink: )

Comments about bosun’s calls, “tuning them”, sea-stories, ones in your collection, etc., or anything else are welcome.

I was glad to buy this bosuns call last year and repatriate it from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada to Southern California, where its original owner, Chief Boatswains mate Aubrey Van Sciver Forsyth, called San Diego home. Aubrey had one child, a four-year Navy vet who died in 1978, the same year as Aubreys widow and several years after his death. Likely this nicely engraved bosuns call left the family long ago. The guy I bought it from had it for many years but knew nothing about its history. I have two other bosuns calls- a nickel plated German -made that was a gift in the early 70s from my late uncle, a USPHS RADM and a 50s navy one that came with a small medal group. But the sound from this one blows them both away.

Aubrey was one of the children of Dora and Daniel W. Forsyth Sr., born in Camden, NJ on either 16 January 1901 or 19 September 1898. His father appears in every US census from 1860 to 1910except 1900 (of course). His baptismal record from Philadelphia lists his name as Aubrey Samuel Forsyth and date of birth 19 September 1898. That is the birthdate he wrote in his 1918 draft registration, when he was living at 815 Market St. in Camden with his widowed mother and working as a brakeman for the Pennsylvania Railroad. The 1910 census lists his age as 11. However, the 1920 census shows him still living at home, age 19 and working as a railroad brakeman.

Navy officer registers in WW2 list his birthdate as 1/16/1901 as does the Social Security Death Index, a consular marriage certificate from China in 1931 and his tombstone. His earliest re-enlistment in ancestry muster rolls is 8 February 1933. But thanks to Adams research on another USS Tulsa sailor, Forsyths prior re-enlistment of 7 February 1927 and first muster date of 9 November 1929 to USS Tulsa (PG-22) is documented.

Its likely that Aubreys first enlistment was on or about 7 February 1923, so that by 1931 (possibly a year or so earlier) he was a boatswains mate first class (BM 1/c). That is the rate hes wearing in a Tulsa crew photo taken at Hsin- Ho, China, twenty-five miles downstream from Tientsin on 20 July 1931, where his right shoulder crow is clearly visible. Its also the rate thats engraved on his bosuns call.

Nine years later, Forsyth is chief boats in a crew photo of the Mahan-class destroyer USS Reid (DD-369) not long after she made the trek from San Diego to her new homeport at Pearl Harbor. In both photos, Aubrey staked out the same spotthe extreme right foreground. So he is in the lower left corner of each photo, the man farthest left. In the 1931 Tulsa photo, hes grinning at the end of a two-deep row of Marines. (Dont worry about my best side. Just make sure you get the crow.) Back then, the Chinese photo studios generally had great equipment, German lenses Id bet, and did good work on the crew photos for the Navy. About a possible reason for the grin, more in a minute.

The Tulsa crew photo comes from the navitaria of a shipmate, then Sailmakers mate second class (SMM 2/c) James Henry Norwood who is on the bridge, second window from the left. In a May 1929 Tulsa crew photo, Norwood also staked out a spot on the bridge, but at the far right window. I was able to find Aubrey Forsyth in the Tulsa and Reid crew photos thanks to the USS Reid Assoc. website that had the 1938 Panama and 1965 crew reunion photos posted.

I have various Navy items from three Tulsa PO 1/cs during the late 20s, early 30s. Coincidentally, each married Russian ex-pats living in China. And Im aware of at least one other who took a Russian bride while on Tulsa. Aubreys wife was Alexandra Timofeievna Mironova, who was either two or four years his junior, depending which birth date you go with. They were married at the US Consulate in Tientsin, China on Saturday, 25 July 1931. The Tulsa crew photo was taken the previous Monday. So, was he smiling about getting hitched or remembering the China sailor bachelor party a couple nights before? To his defense, we can only guess. I also wonder whether Alexandra had anything to do with the quality of engraving on Aubreys call.

Fortunately, the marriage took. That or Aubrey followed the US Consuls orders not to part until death, which came forty years later. Back at Bethany United Methodist Church in Philadelphia (next to Camden), he was promoted from probationer to full member in February 1931. An upstanding China sailor, if ever there was.

Being a medal collector, Ive wondered about what/ where his medals are. Aubrey joined Tulsa in early November 1929 after the gunboat had been part of the Asiatic fleet since February or March that year. He was still aboard the ship at the end of March 1932 so he would have received the Yangtze Service Medal for service during the Tulsas initial qualifying period 21 Jan 32- 01 Apr 32. It would be great to see Forsyths medals, particularly a 1920s good conduct medal with a few bars, his Yangtze, and PTO with at least one star- for Pearl Harbor.

Aubrey attached to the USS Reid (DD-369) on 11 March 1938, appearing in the 3/31/39 muster roll as Chief Boatswains Mate (CBM). He reenlisted for four years on 15 December 1939 at San Diego shortly before the destroyer sailed for Pearl Harbor. Reids gunners are credited with scratching one Japanese aircraft. Forsyth was given temporary warrant officer rank of Boatswain from 1/31/42, later Chief Boatswain and then advanced to LT (jg) on 7/15/44. Aubrey detached from USS Reid in 1942, a couple years before the destroyer was sunk at Leyte by kamikazes on 11 December 1944.

Further details of his WW2 service are unknown, though he apparently remained in the Pacific Theater, based on a muster roll from the repair ship, USS Sarpedon on 8 May 1946, showing his rank as lieutenant and returning to the US (San Diego) from Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. Sarpedon had been scheduled to participate in the nuclear tests in the Pacific, but those orders were cancelled.

Aubrey Forsyth retired from the Navy soon after. The 1947 San Diego city directory shows his home at 4945 Mansfield with his wife, Alexandra, and working as a custodian at John Adams School. Hes still working as of the 64 directory and retired by 68, the next one available. He was active in the Fleet Reserve Assoc., Officers Club, USS Reid Survivors Assoc. and Shriners. Aubrey passed away on December 18, 1971 and is buried at Greenwood cemetery in San Diego along with his wife and son. Since his obituary states he was a 38- year resident of San Diego, it makes sense that he detached from Tulsa sometime during 1932-33 and was transferred to the Pacific Fleet where he and his wife set up permanent residence in San Diego.

Now, I have to either attempt to tie my own lanyard (is there an app for that?) worthy of Aubrey Forsyths bosuns call (good luck) or buy a fancy lanyard tied by an experienced, marlinspike sailor or a vintage g.i. lanyard (assuming such were issued back then). Either way, I hope to find natural braided line (not synthetic) like what they used back in 1930. Any suggestions on where to get such line is appreciated. (And not thirty feet of water-line, Im wise to that :blink: )

Comments about bosuns calls, tuning them, sea-stories, ones in your collection, etc., or anything else are welcome.

Lanyards for Calls were not issued. Each BM tied his own. The most common material for making Lanyards prior to the early 1960s was "Belfast Cord" it is no longer made.

aerialbridge

Thanks, sigsaye. I know this is way before your time in the Navy, but do know whether a sterling call such as this would have been gov't issue to a rated bosun's mate back in the 20's and 30's?

Edit-- for anyone reading this post, the scans can be double clicked for a larger image, that you can actually read.