Help with a US Navy 'Type C' Oxy. Mask?

BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy

Hello all,

would need anyone giving some correct tips for a USN Type 'C' mask, I've searched but cannot make out whether it's a true WW2 piece or earlier. Could maybe get one in good shape, but I'm not interested if it will turn out being uncorrect for even, say, the 1942 timeframe,

Moreover it would come complete with its original double elastic headstraps and no provisions for the side buckles of my summer flight helmet. This latter is a NAF 1092 made by Slote & Klein, do not know whether the two are correctly compatible?

Thanks in advance!!

BlueBookGuy

forgot.

I've got and kept aside back ago a brand-new ANB-H-1 mike still in its package, meant for 'D' masks - in fact, a different shape and dimensions than the more usual mikes for A-14s models. The 'C' I'm interested in is fitted with 'RS-83' (could be?) that is, if I'm correct, the standard mike for the 'D' and not for 'C', but here I'm not competent so do not know if a RS-83 is correct for a 'C'?

pararaftanr2

Hi Franco,

To make a long story short, the Type C mask is a legitimate early WW2 item, however, it was part of a re-breather oxygen system and was designed to remain in the aircraft. It was not issued as personal equipment, as was the later A-14 in Navy use. The complete MSA re-breather "kit" came with metal fittings and short leather straps that allowed the mask to be worn with, and attached directly to, the 1092 series of helmets. Also provided were the gray elastic straps you describe for use when a flight helmet was not worn. Strictly speaking, a C mask would not be appropriate for a free-standing mannequin (as is often seen), for the above stated reason, but could certainly be displayed on its own or on a display head.

The RS-83 will fit the Type C mask, but the instructions in the packaging you mention don't include the Type C as it was already obsolete once the Type D mask, part of a diluter-demand system, came into service. I would guess that 99.9% of the installations of the RS-83 you see in Type C masks have been "collector-done", rather than being a vintage application. Many of the complete MSA re-breather kits made it to the surplus market after WW2 and could be had for a reasonable price, complete in the box, for many years thereafter.

Best regards, Paul

BlueBookGuy

Thanksd so much Paul.

At this point I guess a 'C' type wouldn't be 100% technically correcy if displayed even just on a foamhead carrying a NAF 1092, if using the original unmodified set of double elastic headband - looks like it isn't the practical way an aviator would have done. Even though the case of a non-fighter pilot, thus not having to deal with violent combat manoeuvers?

Thanks. As for the rest it would be an unusual-looking, great-shape piece of equipment.

+ The only spot wich doesn't match item's virtually new condition is the outside of mike's pocket, more precisely the opening's edge immediately around the black microphone. Many super-tiny cracks in rubber - plus some very, very slight portions of rubber missing like if (so I guess but possibly itsn't so) someone wanted placing that RS-83 mike by the wrong way?

pararaftanr2

I am familiar with the specific microphone installation you make reference to. The photo clearly shows the cracks / tears you are talking about. In my opinion, it falls within the 99.9% I mentioned previously, but it is still an attractive rig. It would display well with a flight cap, sunglasses and a headset.