What medals is he wearing #4?

Mike Serpa

The MOH and I don't remember seeing the round medal before.

Reider Waaler MOH citation - In the face of heavy artillery and machine gun fire, he crawled forward to a burning British tank, in which some of the crew were imprisoned, and succeeded in rescuing 2 men. Although the tank was then burning fiercely and contained ammunition which was likely to explode at any time, this soldier immediately returned to the tank and, entering it, made a search for the other occupants, remaining until he satisfied himself that there were no more living men in the tank.

Photo source - The Pictorial Record of the 27th Division.

post-162414-0-37501100-1460701143.png

world war I nerd

He might be wearing the Life Saving Medal. The medal was created by Congress in 1874. It was not a military decoration as it was initially awarded by the Treasury Department. Later (not sure what year) administration of the medal was transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard.

The medal was a "non-portable" table medal until 1882 when its size was reduced and it was suspended from a ribbon. There were two classes of the Life Saving Medal: First Class with a gold planchet and red ribbon and Second Class with a silver planchet and blue ribbon.

It was awarded to any person (civilian or military) who had rescued a person or persons from drowning, a shipwreck or any other peril in or near the water.

Attached is a image of the Second Class (silver) Life Saving Medal that was posted by Tarbridge elsewhere on the forum.

post-5143-0-95492000-1460702753.jpg

world war I nerd

I think you're right roadrunner. Because I was only focused on the shape, I didn't notice that the bit the medal was suspended from was open. Meritorious Service Medal it is.

lax_master22

Thought I might say something, considering that he was awarded the MOH for saving two British soldiers he may well have been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal by the British. I'm not so good on British medals but the DCM is the equivalent to the Military Cross (at the time awarded only to officers of a certain rank), but the DCM was usually awarded to enlisted men (which Reidar Waaler was) who failed to meet the requirements to be awarded the Victoria Cross. I would say it's the DCM over the Meritorious Service Medal since he's a foreign soldier and cannot be awarded the VC but would have likely been recognised by the British with the highest award they could give to him for the MOH action which is the DCM.

Cheers,

Jack

post-102552-0-72102000-1460714707.jpg

Thought I might say something, considering that he was awarded the MOH for saving two British soldiers he may well have been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal by the British. I'm not so good on British medals but the DCM is the equivalent to the Military Cross (at the time awarded only to officers of a certain rank), but the DCM was usually awarded to enlisted men (which Reidar Waaler was) who failed to meet the requirements to be awarded the Victoria Cross. I would say it's the DCM over the Meritorious Service Medal since he's a foreign soldier and cannot be awarded the VC but would have likely been recognised by the British with the highest award they could give to him for the MOH action which is the DCM.

Cheers,

Jack

Totally agree

It definitely was the Distinguished Conduct Medal which is the Other Ranks/enlisted equivalent of the officers' Distinguished Service Order. He was also awarded the French Croix de Guerre w/Palm and Military Medal, the Montenegrin Medal for Bravery, the Portugese War Cross 3rd Class and the Italian War Merit Cross. He enlisted shortly after he registered for the draft in June 1917 in Troop A, A Squadron, NY Cavalry which was based in Manhattan and became Co A, 105th MG Bn, Waaler was a Norwegian immigrant who lived on W. 96th St. in Manhattan and didn't become an American citizen until 1943. He died in Florida in 1979.

The DCM is number 26 in order of precedence of the orders, decorations, and medals in Great Britain and "The senior decoration confined to the men ... About 100 were awarded to Americans.

post-8324-0-31109100-1460757725.jpeg

The Meritorious Service Medal and Distinguished Conduct Medal look very much alike. Thanks for the DCM identity, Jack!

• 5 years later...