Public consciousness during Invasion of Panama

turko

What was American public consciousness like during the Invasion of Panama in 1989? I was only 12 at the time, and don't even remember it being anything anyone talked about or referenced. I didn't know until years later that such a thing even happened. I know 12 is kind of young to usually be interested in stuff like that, but Desert Storm was barely a year after that and I clearly remember that being a huge deal for a long time.

I definitely remember hearing occasional references to Grenada and Lebanon over the years, but Panama was just one of those things that seemed to be ignored, or no one wanted to talk about it, at least in a "pop culture" sense. Was it just completely overshadowed by the fall of Communism and then Desert Storm? Or was it a big deal at the time and I just didn't notice?

normaninvasion

I believe it was largely tied to the crack cocaine/gang problem America was experiencing. Those social problems were big headlines. Of course, like you stated, the fall of communism and DS, somewhat overshadowed the invasion. Not to mention it was a short operation. In general, Columbia and Central America was always talked about in the media during the 1980s.

they were also after Noreigia (if I spelled that right) Yes it was very quick & mostly forgotten. I had a few freinds that were involved in that one.

I remember it being on the news quite a bit for a short while, and I remember my dad discussing it with friends. I was 11 at the time and it fascinated me, so I paid attention to it. It does seem like coverage faded away quickly. There was a lot going on in other areas of Central America at that time as well, El Salvador etc. Maybe it all just got wrapped up together.

I knew one of the first three Rangers that hit the Commandancia(Noriegas office basically)Also had a bit of insider info as another friend had been a body guard to a General in Panama a few years prior.He basically called it spot on that they would find Noriega hole up in a safe house in Panama City.Funny how old habits never change.

But the big question where is Noriega now.You dont hear much as Im sure he has a lot of info on a few officials who knew what he was doing and moved his product through the air.

Im sure hes in a comfortable club cell eating oreo cookies(they were his favorite)

Invasion of Panama had inter-agency rivalries, everyone has something to prove after Operation Eagle Claw and Operation Urgent Fury. Operation Just Cause was the first time Advanced Force Operations worked together under newly formed SOCOM.

The public was very receptive after the previous Operations which were still fresh on everyone's mind.

I just checked wikipedia and it says he served his time here in the U.S. then was sent to France for another. Done with that one he is now in Panama for a twenty year sentence.

Patchcollector

Another possible factor may have been due to some rather unpleasant publicity regarding our behavior in Central America during that period,our Government tried to keep things low key.Noriega,of course,was'nt going to oblige us by simply giving up,instead he took refuge in the Apostolic Nunciature of the Holy See where we surrounded him,set up a huge stereo system,and blasted music and other unpleasant sounds(baby crying IIRC)for days until the Vatican(apparently reluctantly) showed him the door.

Here is a link to "Operation Nifty Package",which describes the OP in detail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Nifty_Package

Interesting... I guess I just wasn't really paying attention because of my age and it probably did get all wrapped up in the rest of the Central America/drug nonsense that was ongoing at the time. I just watched a documentary about it and it was a pretty interesting operation.

5thwingmarty

As I recall it was pretty low key on the coverage, and since it was completed so quickly and without any significant U.S. casualties it faded very quickly from news coverage. I was working on a project doing inspections of the military facilities along the canal at the time, and had to go down within a couple weeks of the operation ending. The airport terminal building in Panama City had some damage, and a few of the barracks buildings on one of the bases that the Panamanian troops had been using had some damage from gun fire, but there was no significant damage beyond that. Street vendors were selling Operation Just Cause commemorative tee shirts and life seemed to be pretty much business as usual. I was told the atmosphere had been pretty tense prior to the operation for Americans in Panama but it was not tense at all afterwards.

I was in Honduras up to Dec 10th, 1989. I visited Panama City in October and things were pretty scary. The PDF had roughed up an American couple in September and all US Forces and dependents were ordered to stay close to their bases. I talked to several soldiers I had served with in Honduras that had to stay in Honduras a few weeks because all available assets were used during the invasion. A lot of Christmas leaves were canceled.

I was fortunate to have left when I did because the plans for the invasion were underway.

Patchcollector

One other thing I forgot to mention was the Press focus on the self destruction of what Reagan called the "Evil Empire",aka the Soviet Union during the late 80's to early 90's.In 1989 Revolutions were popping up all over Eastern Europe as the world witnessed the "fall of Communism".Who can forget the images of the Berlin Wall coming down.

Perhaps the news coverage from that arena helped to overshadow events happening in Panama.

My recollection is that as things heated up, it got a fair amount of coverage.

There was at least enough to know that things were going to come to a head.