replica M9A1 bazooka

thunderw21

I've been wanting a replica bazooka for a while for reenactments to go with my inert WW2 rockets. The M1A1 version was preferable but I kept seeing these M9 replicas around from multiple companies and I liked the practicality of that version.

A reenacting acquaintance told me to go with one from a company from Hong Kong, but that one turned out to be junk and I ditched it. Then I ordered an airsoft version from Evike. It arrived and I'm pleased with it. It's made almost completely out of steel, is 5 feet long, and weighs 15 pounds, like an original. It's a beast.

There are a few issues that will needed to be addressed before reenacting with it. First, the sight that came with it is a joke. I replaced this with an original, however the attachment bolt on the sight is 3/8" with 40 TPI and is impossible to find a nut for. I got a thread tap so I can make my own nuts.

Next, the grip is postwar. Not a huge deal since few would really know or care, but I would. It'll have to be either replaced or modified.

Lastly, it needed a repaint to get rid of the orange muzzle and to get it the correct color. That was pretty easy.

I also wanted to use this to demonstrate the loading procedure. Unfortunately this tube will not fit original rockets. Is just a hair too narrow, probablydoneforlegalreasons. I have a wood shop at my disposal and have decided to make a slightly undersized demonstration rocket out of wood.

Some photos of it after a bit of work. This shows the original sight attached and the repaint. I also attached an original sling. I still need to do something with the grip.

post-490-0-51950700-1460652770.jpg

post-490-0-76521000-1460652919.jpg

The details are pretty good. The two halves lock together decently tight with a little wobble, but nothing bad. If like to eventually set it up to simulate launches with propane or something similar.

The locking ring. This originally only came with a single notch on one of the three lugs so the two halves could only connect one way. I added notches on the other two lugs and they work quite well; they're actually tighter than the original notch with zero wobble.

post-490-0-48223800-1460653157.jpg

Looking through the original sight. A huge improvement over the one the bazooka came with.

post-490-0-07912800-1460653405.jpg

I really like it! Nice job! I had an original M9A1 bazooka that I sold several years ago. This is a nice alternative, much cheaper, and no demil issues to have to be concerned about with ATF.

• 3 weeks later...
thunderw21

I've been working on a replica M6A3 rocket to use for loading demonstrations.

As I said before, the bazooka tube is slightly undersized so an inert original rocket can't fit. This wooden replica is slightly undersized in order to fit in the tube.

Here it is thus far. It's not super detailed but it doesn't need to be for my purposes. Still need to attach the tail fin, finish painting, and attach a wire to the end.

It's coming right along.

post-490-0-70840000-1462330388.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
thunderw21

Here are my three bazooka rockets: two inert and one wooden demonstration rocket.

They are on top of an unissued 1944-dated rocket bag I picked up cheap.

They didn't have their safety wires so I made some. They turned out great.

post-490-0-75567200-1463750705.jpg

TheGrayGhost

Very nice work!

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. They must have made a change, original rockets fit in mine without issue.

thunderw21

Thanks!

Yeah, at least one of the companies offering these originally had the tube the correct diameter. Too bad it changed.

• 4 weeks later...

The same Zeta-Labs M9A1 (albeit the earlier one that fits the rockets) with reworked handle fitting, original handguard and newly-made correct size/shape shoulder stock.

post-353-0-69875000-1466500565.jpg

I have an iron sight for it too. Oh, and the range plate has been replaced with a closer M20 plate.

Take the metal ring off from under the rear barrel band and replace it with a cut-to-size piece of black plastic flower pot. And replace the wiring "tube" piece with a shaped piece of brake fluid piping. And get some better bolts/nuts for the barrel bands too.

Oh, and the spring on the rear rocket catch is crap, but that can be replaced with a more suitable spring easily enough.

:)

For the handle mounting fitting I had a local welding fabrication firm take the fitting off and make a new one copied off photos of an original fitting. Quite easy for them.

For the stock, it is a completely new piece, shaped correctly using an original as a template.

• 6 months later...

An original wartime grip has been attached and looks great. The stock trigger guard is a bit undersized and a new one will need to be fabricated, but for now this will do. I found a steel bracket with which to attach the grip and after some drilling, grinding, and bending I got it to fit very nicely.

post-490-0-18520500-1483664117_thumb.jpg

Also, I was able to scrounge up an M20 range plate. It was a rusted mess but after a grinding and repaint it looks good as new.

More updates to come.

post-490-0-65702000-1483664410_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have two questions can you post pictures of the notches you cut the link bot pieces and how can I get a 40TPI nut for the original GI sight?

I'm currently out of town so I can't show you pics of the lugs.

As for the nut, I just found one that was close to the correct size (you might have to experiment with that so get several nuts of slightly different sizes) and used the thread tap to get the right threading.

• 7 months later...

I am buying one of these replicas this week and already have 3 rockets, a sling and an original sight for it. I am using your description and photographs to make the proper corrections to the M9 once it gets here. I am going to use it in a Museum Display when it is done.Can you share anything else for this, that may not have made it since the last posting? If you have any suggestions on where to acquire parts, etc, that would also be very much appreciated.