Iwo Jima Marine Vet Interview

Stahlberg

I had the pleasure of conducting an interview with a 5th Marine Div veteran of World War 2 who served on Iwo Jima. Unfortunately, a lot of his memory has faded, and he's extremely hard of hearing, but luckily his son filled in a lot of the interview with what he'd been told when he was younger. All of the photos used in the video were directly from the vet, who allowed me to make copies of them. There were several different photos so it was hard to decide which ones to use, but I picked some of the best ones. The "scratches" on the photos were caused by the sand. Attached are some of my favorite photos that didn't make it into the final video

post-156248-0-75637500-1460651836.jpg

post-156248-0-05583600-1460651864.jpg

This is a photo of him after the battle of Iwo Jima. It was used in a newspaper article for his hometown paper I think

post-156248-0-60406800-1460651930.jpg

post-156248-0-00635400-1460651934.jpg

carrabassett

Great job, thanks so much for preserving this important piece of history. I saw this the other day and just viewed it. Coincidentally, you posted this the same day I met Raymond Miller, another 5th Marine Iwo Jima vet who coauthored the book "From the Volcano to the Gorge", his memoir of Iwo. Amazing stories. Thanks again! Jim

• 1 month later...
GoldenCross

Just watched the whole interview. Well done! It certainly helped to have his son there. And the picture overlays were a nice touch too! Thank you for taking the time to capture even just a few memories from this veteran. Well worth it! Cheers!

• 1 month later...
devildog34

Great video. My grandfather was also a machine gun section leader with Company E 2nd Battalion 27th Marines. He was wounded March 10, 1945. Would love to get in touch with Mr. Pederson and his family.

Semper Fi

Thanks for sharing the video, let me know if you ever need help. Love meeting vets and especially from Montana.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...