World War II 3rd "Marne" Division Collection...

MBMorley

While digging out my WWII 3rd ID collection for an upcoming exhibit at the Audie Murphy Museum in Greenville, Texas (for the "Audie Murphy Days" celebration) I thought I would snap a few pictures and share here.

As always, I am forever looking to add identified uniforms, groupings and artifacts related to the 3rd "Marne" Division in World War II

Thanks for looking!

post-7151-0-75121800-1460485793.jpg

post-7151-0-16329100-1460485807.jpg

Left: John F. Dietz - 9th Field Artillery Battalion.

Center (top): Eldon G. Hartley - Company B. 7th Regiment.

Center (bottom): Frank J. Nagy - Cannon Company, 30th Regiment. Cpl. Nagy received his Bronze Star Medal for his action at the battle for the Colmar Pocket.

Right: Balzar N. Bosch - 7th Regiment.

post-7151-0-05768100-1460487000.jpg

Left: 1st Lt. Charles A. Lehmacher - 9th Field Artillery Battalion.

Center: Francis A. Bebelheimer - HQ Company, 1st Battalion, 30th Regiment.

Right: Joe T. Iacuzzi - Company A, 10th Engineer Battalion. Iacuzzi was awarded the Legion of Merit for this actions on May 23rd, 1944 in Italy.

post-7151-0-62686400-1460487440.jpg

Left: Thomas W. Fitzgerald - Cannon Company, 15th Regiment.

Center: Robert W. Nicely - 30th Regiment.

Right: 1st Lt. Edward B. Williams - 41st Field Artillery Battalion.

post-7151-0-54420600-1460488069.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

One of my favorite units, read every book I could find on Audie years ago. I just might revisit them again. That's a collection that dreams are made of. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Jumpin Jack

Extremely nice array of named uniforms associated with the 3rd Inf. Div. I have only one named uniform that belonged to T/Cpl. Willism M. Frick, Medic, initially assigned to the 70th Inf. Div, but later transferred to the 3rd Inf Div. He wears the 3rd Inf Div with Caduceus DI's on his lapels. Jack

Terrific display. I lived in Besançon for a few months, and one day went hiking in the surrounding hills with some friends. Outside of one of the hilltop forts, we came across the 3rd Division monument, since they liberated the city.It must have been quite a fight, as the terrain is formidable.

Those are excellent! I just acquired my first 3rd division uniform group last week. Albeit he transferred from the 70th to 3rd but still a 3rd nonetheless. Hope you post some pics when it's all setup at the museum.

Mike

Thanks guys!!

I will for sure take pictures and post here of the final set up at the museum. The museum has some of Audie's uniforms, his medals and other artifacts on display, which includes the German sniper rife that he captured.

Stay tuned!!

Thank you for showing us your collection and thanks for honoring the 3rd Division. Although everyone knows about the Division's glorious exploits and numerous campaigns in WW2, I still feel that the 3rd Div is one of those overlooked.and forgotten units of the MTO. I have corresponded with vets of the 3rd Div since the early 90's and it is my favorite unit..

Here's one of my favorite 3rd Div stories:

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/featured/maurice-footsie-britt.html

I noticed that the 10th Engineer jacket does not have a CIB. It is my understanding that combat engineers would not be eligible for a CIB because they were not Infantry.

Can someone please confirm it ?

I have studied in depth and corresponded with vets of the 10th Engr Bn and the 36th Engineer Regiment and hell, they spent their time on the frontline - but the vets I knew did not have a CIB.

Thanks.

One of the first militaria items I obtained was an enlisted tunic with a felt 3rd patch on it. I've had a soft spot for that unit ever since - Your collection is fantastic!

USMC-RECON0321

I noticed that the 10th Engineer jacket does not have a CIB. It is my understanding that combat engineers would not be eligible for a CIB because they were not Infantry.

Can someone please confirm it ?

I have studied in depth and corresponded with vets of the 10th Engr Bn and the 36th Engineer Regiment and hell, they spent their time on the frontline - but the vets I knew did not have a CIB.

Thanks.

First, Great identified uniforms and displays. Well done sir!!

Yes that is true. The CIB is only awarded to Infantry soldiers who served in direct combat with the enemy. The Infantry holds that honor close to heart and not willing to share. Not that others aren't in harms way in combat, but the infantry mission is a one of a kind, to seek out and destroy the enemy, with a miserable day to day existence (even in peace time training). So yes, many soldiers who were no doubts in direct combat with the enemy, were not eligible or authorized to wear the CIB and still holds true to this day. It should be noted that with the current OIF and OEF campaigns, the Army decided to recognize combat action of non infantry soldiers and gave birth to the "C.A.B." (Combat Action Badge) which is awarded to any non-infantry unit / soldier who is confirmed to have been in direct combat with the enemy. I'm not sure if it can be retroactive or not to deserving soldiers of past wars / conflicts?

In the Marines you are awarded a C.A.R. (Combat Action Ribbon) to be worn on dress uniforms only and "ANY" Marine who is in direct combat with the enemy can be awarded this ribbon. Not just infantry.

Hope this helps.

Troy

Hey guys anyone with any World War II 3rd Division related artifacts please feel free to post them here... I'd love to see what you guys might have in your collections... Let's see some "Marne Division" goodies!!

Brandon

Here is one. I picked this up last year, and it has defied my research efforts. The entire uniform is Brit made, with a British tailor label. The buttons are made by JR Gaunt...beautiful uniform. It is named to Martin R. Shirk, who served as an enlisted man in the 3rd ID, and received a commission late in the war (I know this from his obit). The 3rd ID patch is one of the silk, Italian made ones. The ribbons are missing, but I have a feeling he was well decorated. His NARArecord was destroyed though, so I have reached a dead end on him!

post-110-0-60857200-1461365290.jpg