Navy PUC BLue Star?

Armed 2 tha Teeth

Armed 2 tha Teeth

Can someone tell me about the use of a blue star attachment on a Navy PUC during WWII? I thought the first award would be the ribbon and a bronze star attachment and the second would be a blue star (until 1949).

I found this on gruntsmilitary.com ,sorry I couldn't find a better source.

Blue stars three-sixteenths of an inch in diameter (now obsolete) were initially used to denote second and subsequent awards.

How common was the use of the blue star? If a unit earned three PUCs would they only wear one bronze and one blue star?

Originally the Navy PCU used a ceramic blue star to denote the second award, the first award was just the ribbon, the ceramic stars did not work and they switches to a blue enamel stars. Then in 1949 they switches to bronze stars, I would guess the blue stars were too expensive to make. There should be no mixing of blue and bronze stars and I said "should" but it probably happened or at least until a Chief spotted it. So basically it is first award only the ribbon, second award the ribbon with one blue star before 1949 or one bronze star after 1949, third award the ribbon and two blue stars before 1949 or two bronze stars after 1949 and so on.

Armed 2 tha Teeth

I believe during WWII the first award was the ribbon and a bronze star, since the regulations have changed.

This was sent to me by a friend, it comes from a 1948 Navy training manual.

"Unit Citations

The Presidential Unit Citation may be awarded to a ship, aircraft or other naval unit, and to any Marine Corps aircraft detachment, or higher unit, for outstanding performance in action on or after 16 October 1941.

Under original regulations, the ribbon could not be worn until after the second unit citation. This was modified by AlNan 137-43 (1943--my note) as follows:

1. When a unit has received the Presidential Unit Citation, all personnel serving in that unit during the occasion for which cited, or any part thereof, wear the citation ribbon with one star permanently, regardless of where they serve.

2. Such personnel wear an additional star for each additional citation of the unit upon which they serve during the occasion for which the unit is cited, whether it be the same or another unit.

3. Personnel who subsequently join a unit which has been cited wear the plain citation ribbon without star only while attached to that unit."

collectsmedals

Here is a Marine Corps Presidential Unit Citation in my collection with a blue star.

The Marine also used a blue star for his Navy Unit Commendation, although as far as I know that was not authorized.

post-294-1220746856.jpg