MBU-5/P

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

picked up a nice MBU-5/P with its last inspection in 2010, or maybe next due in 2010...1983 construction...hardshell is Avox, everything else is Sierra....recently surplused from active USAF inventory...I would not have thought 5/Ps were still being used..but some of the flyers prefer them over the 12P..

I am guessing the 5th gen folks don't have that choice...

of all the jet helmet O2 masks...the 5P is my favorite for comfort and style....the 12P is ok and the 20 P is like handling a toy flimsy...how it holds up under g loads...

post-155518-0-05196800-1460464637.jpg

post-155518-0-30410000-1460464648.jpg

post-155518-0-87662000-1460464654.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Great piece 'fixer!!

btw, this my personal tastes as for style and good-looking of the most known O2 masks,

#1 MBU-3/P + MS-22001 latest Navy style

#2 MBU-5/P

#3 A-14

#4 A-13

#5 KM-34D (Series 2), Russian (when it's right, it's right... )

#6 MBU-12/P

#30 (!!) MBU-20/P + Russian KM-32 + all the Chinese-made masks + all the remaining similar horrible things ... B) B)

Cheers, Franco.

phantomfixer

Dig the list Franco...the 3P is a nice mask too...early jet helmet days...they saw use well in to the 60s IIRC..was the hard plastic added because the mask was collapsing during use? or added for better fit?

kinda neat how the KM 24 is similar to the 3P

BlueBookGuy

Hello 'fixer,

I think the hardshell of MBU-3/P (first resin, subsequently true plastic) has been added when the so-called 'Hardman Kit' for attaching to helmets began seeing widespread use.. but, not 100%sure.

Anyway the -5/P is a very good-looking mask too, simply I personally put the -3/P some inches in #1 position...

* Making apologies for the following O.T. of non-US gear, this is a closeup of the latest among my full-size pilots (a Russian Su-24 pilot, early 2000s) showing how nice and unusual the KM-34D (Series2) mask is, at least IMO, and why I've included in my personal list of preferred masks.

But just to clarify - just this one, not the remaining Russian models... yet this one I like much more than the equally side-hose styled British masks... B) B)

As a side note of mere curiosity, could it be interesting to know whether, and how many collectors of US-made gear also do the same with Russia-made headgear. Besides of flags' colors and similar topics, really that is surprisingly advanced stuff I hadn't realized until a certain moment.

post-151851-0-93932600-1460474483.jpg

post-151851-0-34375000-1460474499.jpg

phantomfixer

we're gonna be locked LOL

curious about the life cycle on the A-13 through the MBU-3P

The 13 has typical WWII style suspension, similar to the A14, the MS 22001 used a webbing and buckle system similar to the 5P only with snaps for the helmet, and the final, generally speaking, is the 3P with bayonets...but the shell/body is pretty much the same?

Looks like the nose piece on the A-13 is cut different than the 22001 and the 3P

post-155518-0-37606300-1460475873.jpg

post-155518-0-57409300-1460475883.jpg

post-155518-0-46588500-1460475891.jpg

BlueBookGuy

... yes I'm afraid ah ah..

This my MBU-3/P from 1972 if I'm correct, basically kinda didn't change anything of its original MS-22001 pattern. Yes bottom of facepiece is different from the true A-13 mask cut-wise, for the rest I'd say the spot of mike's pocket and its thickness are identical?

All-plastic hardshell is here a real green color, many of earlier resin shells were painted actually more of a bluish-green hue.

post-151851-0-72703500-1460477566.jpg

BlueBookGuy

btw,

I personally knew of some Italian pilots who still in very early 2000s preferred the -3/P over the -5/P - not to say of the MBU-12/P, by then widely been used. Officially reason was the (unbeatable?) superior comfort of the oldest model.

phantomfixer

btw,

I personally knew of some Italian pilots who still in very early 2000s preferred the -3/P over the -5/P - not to say of the MBU-12/P, by then widely been used. Officially reason was the (unbeatable?) superior comfort of the oldest model.

I like that.. comfort above all else

when on Sardinia, I had a chance to score some Italian gear and German gear...walked away with a German gray flight jacket...through traditional bartering among allies

BlueBookGuy

As for German gear and MBU-5/P topic, I once happened upon a G.A.F. helmet + O2 mask.

Helmet was the Guenau 316 model, French-made and wich I've always disliked. Mask was the MBU-5/P having as only difference from standard the plastic hardshell in black instead green.

Was really a good bargain but as said, personally cannot stand that French model helmet - never wanted in my life going through a true complete helmets' collection, in wich instance at least one of Gueneau 316 helmets maybe could have been worth of its place on a shelf.

northcoastaero

phantomfixer,

Could you post a close-up image of the AVOX markings on your MBU-5/P?

I have noticed the following USAF MBU-5/P hard shells:

Sierra on the side

Sierra on the nose-level

Sierra on the nose-upward slant

The General Tire on the nose

Scott on the nose

Gentex on the nose-possible

AVOX

White plastic non-allergenic hard shell

Possibility of foreign service black hard shells used by USAF. Scott made these. Possibly Sierra also.

There was an A-10 Thunderbolt II squadron using the MBU-5/P mask around the 2007-2010 timeframe.

Since there was more sizes with the 5P they kept them around for a while for those that didnt fit in a 12P that great. Had an IP tell me that who was flying Texan II's that was a Marine in an exchange program with the USAF. That was back in the early 2000s. Now its been the opposite at times in UPT where the 12P is still being used and if it doesnt fit that well you will get a new 20A/P mask. My friend while in UPT back in 07 told them the 12P was pinching his nose area so they replaced that mask with a 20A/P. They were trying to exhaust the 12P stock first before issuing out new 20A/P masks. 2010 is pretty late for a 5P mask, but Id imagine some ALSE shops still had them in storage as spare/visitor masks. The AVOX shell seems to be a no brainer seeing they break all the time, but the main parts being Sierra and not Scott or Gentex, Damn thats pretty old still floating around. I think the very early 80s was the last Sierra era before Scott took em over.

phantomfixer

pics of the nose...and the mask is a Scott rubber piece not Sierra...Diematic bayonets...and hose is Gentex..so nothing on the mask is Sierra...either old age or was looking at my other 5P that I had that day...

post-155518-0-20103500-1460766202.jpg

post-155518-0-70806400-1460766208.jpg

phantomfixer

ok didn't think I was day dreaming...here are two more 5Ps one is a AVOX with Sierra mask and the other is a Seirra hardshell and mask..

post-155518-0-91892400-1460767225.jpg

post-155518-0-34721500-1460767233.jpg

post-155518-0-04087100-1460767239.jpg

phantomfixer

Since there was more sizes with the 5P they kept them around for a while for those that didnt fit in a 12P that great. Had an IP tell me that who was flying Texan II's that was a Marine in an exchange program with the USAF. That was back in the early 2000s. Now its been the opposite at times in UPT where the 12P is still being used and if it doesnt fit that well you will get a new 20A/P mask. My friend while in UPT back in 07 told them the 12P was pinching his nose area so they replaced that mask with a 20A/P. They were trying to exhaust the 12P stock first before issuing out new 20A/P masks. 2010 is pretty late for a 5P mask, but Id imagine some ALSE shops still had them in storage as spare/visitor masks. The AVOX shell seems to be a no brainer seeing they break all the time, but the main parts being Sierra and not Scott or Gentex, Damn thats pretty old still floating around. I think the very early 80s was the last Sierra era before Scott took em over.

Dover's Life Support sees a few 5Ps come in from guys from other bases PCSing in to Dover or flying through needing repairs...usually they issue out a 12P to replace the old 5P,, then toss the 5P...my jaw hit the floor...

My newest 5P came from a fighter base South of Dover.. I was lucky to get it...

That makes more sence on that later issue mask being the 3 later makes, A nice mutt haha. The other 1 with the Avox shell and the rest Sierra might be a put together if you didnt actually get if directly from the AF. Coulda been a complete mask with a broken shell and someone get a new hardshell. Avox took out Scott not long ago. The 2 companies pretty much kept the same model and part #s as Sierra starting with a ###- Gentex has always had their own.

You still in the AF at Dover or retired over there? One of my friends just PCSd there a couple months ago, flys C-17s. When I go visit him I want to check out the ALSE shop.

northcoastaero

phantomfixer,

Thank-you for the additional images. It would be interesting if someone made a MBU-5/P hard shell from the same type of plastic as the

MBU-20/P mask so they would not crack as easy and to keep them in service longer. Seems like there are still a lot of serviceable parts

out there for military and/or civil use.

Saw an all green MBU-12/P still in service 3-4 years ago with a reserve or ANG C-130 unit. It was worn by one of the loadmasters. Thought

this was unusual.

phantomfixer

Retired from Dover and still in local area....

No sweat Northcoast...seems the reserve/guard units and even AD, the budget is tight, very tight...everything is stripped from 55P's before tossing them...masks are the same...strip em down and toss the bad stuff...

as far as serviceable parts for the 5P...this one perticular LS shop had drawers full of shells, hoses, a few rubber masks, harness' etc...enough to keep their 5Ps going for a long time...