Doolittle Raider "Mark Twain" Bombsight

cutiger83

As many of you know, the Doolittle Raiders used a special bombsight nicknamed the "Mark Twain" rather than the Norden one. The one used by the Raiders only cost 20 cents to make. I have seen pictures of this special bombsight but cannot find anything about the dimensions. I am planning on making one for a display.

Have any of you ever seen the bombsight described with the dimensions? I would like to make this one as accurate as possible.

Thanks a bunch, Kat

Try contacting the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum in Ashland, NE.

They have a mock up on display.

I can't seem to find an email address for them, but here is a phone directory.

http://sacmuseum.org/staff-directory/

And I did find this about exhibits: Deb Hermann at 402-944-3100×220 or [email protected].

Doolittle 4.jpg

northcoastaero

I am almost certain that there was a seller on ebay.com that was making reproductions of these within the past couple of years. I will do more research.

• 1 month later...
benguttery

Agree that someone was selling them recently for perhaps $200. There is also one on display at the Frontiers of Flight Museum in Dallas.

• 9 months later...

I realized I never posted pictures of the finished product. It amazes me that someone is trying to sell these for $150. I was able to make this one for under $5 and that includes the base. I hope you like the finished product. I was proud of how it turned out.

..Kat

Site3.JPG

Site2.JPG

Kat your bomb site really turned out great!

What did you finally use for your dimensions? I would like to try my hand at one.

Thanks,

CB

I realized I never posted pictures of the finished product. It amazes me that someone is trying to sell these for $150. I was able to make this one for under $5 and that includes the base. I hope you like the finished product. I was proud of how it turned out.

..Kat

Wow... really really nice, Kat.

doinworkinvans

Yea....but it didn't cost 20cents....so can you really call it that?!

Just messing....I think that look really awesome!

Neat! You're ready for the bomb run, Kat!

Terry

Working on it! The bombardier's bicycle seat is currently at the shop getting new leather! :)

...Kat

Good job, Kat! Now all you need to do is mount it on your favorite B-25 and drop a few practice bombs with it. LOL Bob