D-Day Helmet Grouping - Foxy 29 Corpsman

stealthytyler

Garandomatic

Wow and wow. Sure wish my foxy 29 grouping had a helmet too!

Geoff at Golden arrow can get his navy photo for you. I think it's the one they took for their ID.

stealthytyler

Wow and wow. Sure wish my foxy 29 grouping had a helmet too!

Geoff at Golden arrow can get his navy photo for you. I think it's the one they took for their ID.

Can you PM me contact info. I have never heard of them. Thanks for the tip! You have a nice Foxy29 grouping btw!

Garandomatic

Also cool is that he's got an army pack... I read that foxy personal were equipped in army gear to take to the beach if the invasion went poorly.

stealthytyler

Also cool is that he's got an army pack... I read that foxy personal were equipped in army gear to take to the beach if the invasion went poorly.

I read that while at Lido Beach, they turned in their Navy gear for brand new Army gear. The doctors were issued pistols and the corpsman were issued M1 Carbines. In one account, a doctor was confused why they needed weapons. He thought it was against Geneva Convention.

Since this unit was short lived, that probably answers the question as to why his gear is in mint condition.

Garandomatic

Thanks, I appreciate it!

As for Geoff, search for golden arrow on here, I'm using my phone and it is a bear to copy and paste anything! A lot of folks use him for their searches, I've had no complaints whatsoever. Great guy to work with.

Screamingeagles101

Was this one one eBay recently?

Looks familiar.

Great helmet by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthytyler

Was this one one eBay recently?

Looks familiar.

Great helmet by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it didn't meet her reserve at first. She then reposted for Buy It Now. I think it was well worth the investment. I look forward to researching more!

stealthytyler

Thanks, I appreciate it!

As for Geoff, search for golden arrow on here, I'm using my phone and it is a bear to copy and paste anything! A lot of folks use him for their searches, I've had no complaints whatsoever. Great guy to work with.

Thanks

I would go back to the daughter to see if she has any period photos to scan for you to keep with the group. I Recommend Geoff at Golden Arrow as well, great guy & excellent service.

stealthytyler

I would go back to the daughter to see if she has any period photos to scan for you to keep with the group. I Recommend Geoff at Golden Arrow as well, great guy & excellent service.

The woman bought it at an estate sale. She is not related to the man. I will keep my eye open on Ebay for anything else that pops up from any other resellers that were at the estate sale.

USMC-RECON0321

Stealthy,

Wow, I think you found yourself a real sleeper that all of us passed on right under our noses!! LOL

I watched this one also and let the condition of it and the miss spelled name stamp keep me from really looking into it any further, as I'm sure many others did. You made a great decision on this one and with the research to confirm it, it is a very historical piece, no doubt!!

The seller is also from PA. same as the vet (from the obit). All the pieces make sense and a prime example of what the fakers out there have done to make us 2nd guess everything.

Top shelf grouping.

Troy

stealthytyler

Stealthy,

Wow, I think you found yourself a real sleeper that all of us passed on right under our noses!! LOL

I watched this one also and let the condition of it and the miss spelled name stamp keep me from really looking into it any further, as I'm sure many others did. You made a great decision on this one and with the research to confirm it, it is a very historical piece, no doubt!!

The seller is also from PA. same as the vet (from the obit). All the pieces make sense and a prime example of what the fakers out there have done to make us 2nd guess everything.

Top shelf grouping.

Troy

Thank you. I did a lot of research before purchasing. I managed to ID the vet and everything pointed in the right direction. Given that he was in Foxy 29 and reading about the unit, it is no surprise to me that the condition of his gear is excellent. Also worth noting that it was well preserved for 70+ years! The haversack is really cool too, no rust, stains or damage at all. 1942 marked.

stealthytyler

Just found some old footage of Foxy29. Look at the sailors helmet on the right. Same style. Cross on top and what appears to be a written name below it.

post-131595-0-43391200-1460318877.jpg