KW Corps Flag- use?

Red Devil

This one arrived recently from the estate of a WWII/KW veteran. Neat old silk flag or banner, measuring 10x16" with all fringe and strings intact. I'm guessing it's Korean-made. Was this a headquarters item, or a souvenir item? Thank you for any help or insight into what this may have been used for!

post-9214-0-41606300-1460300278.jpg

post-9214-0-83637300-1460300292.jpg

My guess is a souvenir item but that is just a guess. The two patches that are still in the paper wrapper look really cool. perhaps both (flag and patches) were made at the same location. I think they are pretty cool, nice pick-up.

Bob

Nice flag, at the smaller size I would think souvenir, but unofficial vehicle use could have been possible. That was kind of a "flashy" time.

I'd be interested to know if the Korea War X Corps also flew their flag White field on top.

See these older posts on what we're talking about.

seanmc1114 Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

X Corps with "Korea" tab. I believe the SSI is upside down on this uniform. The sources I have seen show the blue field should be on top and white on bottom. Is that correct? If so, is there any significance to it being worn this way or is it just a mistake?

Attached Images

• post-1761-0-81724200-1359652189.jpg

On this X Corps vet above it is well known that during the Korean War, for whatever reason the CO General Edward Ned Almond mandated that the X Corps patch be sewn and worn with it's White portion on top, after he left Korea the habit persisted.

Here at least one topic that shows the reversed X Corps patch on a uniform , also there are quite a few photos in Stanton's Uniforms of the Korean War where we see X Corps reversed.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19339-vietnam-us-navy-brown-water-shirt/

patches Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Another example of the X Corps patch for Korean War service as a combat patch being worn White portion on the top, from a Army Periodical circa 1962.
post-34986-0-90754400-1364276986.jpg

Great flag and patches that you picked up. I attached a picture of my father when he was on the 10th Corps Honor Guard after serving in the 2nd Infantry Division in 1951-1952 in Korea.

post-1738-0-70722000-1460844213.jpeg

I have a 2003 issue of the "Chosin Few" newsletter (army chapter) where this was discussed; several veterans had called into question the newsletter displaying the X Corps SSI blue-side up, as they claimed the Korean War usage was the other way 'round, aka "sunny side up". The newsletter agreed after printing a photo of General Almond wearing the SSI that way in the field, and of his personal aircraft painted with the same thing. Their conclusion was that this white-side up manner may have been started by Almond.

• 3 weeks later...

post-34986-0-40573100-1462423127.jpg

Here's a photo of Almond in the field with his White on top patch. He's decorating a then Lt Col Edward Rowny (Rowny would rise to Lt Gen). The award I think for his actions during the Chosen Evacuation when he was Chief Engineer X Corps, Rowny who was West Point Class of 1941, The Black Forty One, also served under Almond in the 92nd Division in Italy in WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Rowny

Still very curious as to WHY Almond mandated the White on top, I mean what would be a possible reason?????