Marine War Dog grouping

Eric Queen

• 1 year later...

A friend of mine was recently at the National Archives and was able to scan KONG's service record book for me so I thought I would resurrect this thread and show a couple images.

NA - MC - Kong (342).jpg

Fantastic group. I Loved seeing this and missed it first time around. I did not know that any of these dogs were returned to their owners, and am also surprised the owners received as much information as they did after 'enlisting' their pets. Truly wonderful. Thanks for posting.

That's great! My heart sank when I read an earlier post with a letter that included that the Marine Corps felt the training Kong received made him too dangerous to release to a private home. Like, really? I donate my dog to the war effort and now you're telling me I can't have him back because he's a lean mean Gyrene? Only at the end did I see the section that says "If you DEMAND to have him back, etc. etc." Probably the coolest paper group I've ever seen

Kong did survive the war and the owner did demand to have him back. This was stapled inside the service book.

NA - MC - Kong (342)_0002.jpg

This is quite a grouping. I have never seen anything like it! Im glad to see Kong was able to live out his post-service life with his owner.

Sydney

That's great! My heart sank when I read an earlier post with a letter that included that the Marine Corps felt the training Kong received made him too dangerous to release to a private home. Like, really? I donate my dog to the war effort and now you're telling me I can't have him back because he's a lean mean Gyrene? Only at the end did I see the section that says "If you DEMAND to have him back, etc. etc." Probably the coolest paper group I've ever seen

Boiler plate legal document to assist in limiting government liability if one of these dogs attacked someone and the owner blamed the military training they had received.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Eric Queen

A little more info about Tanner and who he affectionately referred to as "BlitzKong" 

Kong Tanner.jpg