Marine War Dog grouping

Eric Queen

Nice little paper grouping to USMC war dog KONG. I have been trying to find his service record but no luck so far.

According to this article NARA is supposed to have the textual records of the marine war dogs but the researchers I asked to find them say they are not there. The search continues.

http://marinesmagazine.dodlive.mil/2012/02/25/personal-stories-of-some-special-marines-in-world-war-ii/

Anyway, here are a couple items from KONG

First, the preliminary evaluation from Dogs for Defense from March 1944, KONG received an "A".

KONG 4 x.jpg

KONG in the newspaper, just prior to shipping out for advanced training to N.C.

KONG 5 x.jpg

Notification of KONG's promotion to corporal and confirmation that KONG has seen combat in the Pacific. Being a Dobbie KONG would have been a scout dog (not a messenger dog which were almost always German Shepherds)

KONG 2 x.jpg

Notification to the original owner that KONG is being discharged and he can go home. This detraining they refer to was developed and implemented by Dr. William Putney and saved the lives of hundreds of dogs (everyone should read his book "Always Faithful")

KONG 3 x.jpg

Last, but not least, KONG's Honorable Discharge signed by Vandegrift.

INTERESTED IN BUYING ANY WAR DOG RELATED ITEMS.

KONG 1 x.jpg

Here is the US Army K-9 discharge document for comparison. This one to RED (or "REDDY")

d2 x.jpg

The Quartermaster issued this document when the dogs were first donated (loaned) to the Army.

d1x.jpg

Eric -

I followed the Kong discharge certificate on ebay - glad you are the one who got it.

Thanks for posting!

Best,

Bill

Eric, nice group. I had picked these two tags up from a local picker. They are 1 1/8th by 7/8 inches, made of plastic. Pic is showing front and back.

post-1034-0-40581200-1460227947.jpg

Great little group and story. Do you know if Kong was returned to Ms. Atkinson?

Don't know for a fact but am guessing he was as these items were found down in southern California where she was from.

Eric, nice group. I had picked these two tags up from a local picker. They are 1 1/8th by 7/8 inches, made of plastic. Pic is showing front and back.

Those are neat. Thanks for posting. DFD also had these little dog dishes made (in sterling). Perhaps prizes of some kind. Not sure.

s-l1600.jpg