VET BRINGBACK DD M35 ARMY HELMET BULLET STRUCK & NAMED

flyingtigerfan

Garandomatic

Oh, I bet that would DEFINITELY go into orbit with a hit from a .38 or .45!

I tried to find the video in question, but to no avail.

I saw the footage of the testing they did with helmets, and if I recall, it caved the German helmet in a good bit when shot with a 1911. Maybe someone will post that footage. I am leaning more toward a .38, possibly lead round nose.

Yeah, the .45 is pretty robust with a heavy slug....I would think at close range it would do more damage....Bodes

The speculation is fun, but as OP stated, we'll never know. Many explanations on something like this, all wrapped in the chaos of the battlefield. Also can't assume it was being worn when hit. Not necessarily a bullet either. Could be just about anything. As to whether it was done in 1944 or 1964, that's another guess. I've talked to more than one WWII veteran who sent home a war trophy helmet, only to have it be used as a chicken feeder or some other such nonsense. Cool helmet, no matter what happened to it.

The speculation is fun, but as OP stated, we'll never know. Many explanations on something like this, all wrapped in the chaos of the battlefield. Also can't assume it was being worn when hit. Not necessarily a bullet either. Could be just about anything. As to whether it was done in 1944 or 1964, that's another guess. I've talked to more than one WWII veteran who sent home a war trophy helmet, only to have it be used as a chicken feeder or some other such nonsense. Cool helmet, no matter what happened to it.

+1 to this

Garandomatic

I saw that one when I looked for the original video. I have to wonder how different an original would perform... That metal has to be different in the originals in terms of alloy and temper I'd think. Also, that's a .45 ACP S&W.

Total apples to oranges scenario, but a buddy had a nice WWI US helmet with a very unsightly bend to the rim, and try as we might, that steel would bit bend back into shape. Sprung right back every time. We used blocks of wood to put pressure on the crown of the bend in a vise, everything. Definitely not your average stamped steel.

firefighter

I saw that one when I looked for the original video. I have to wonder how different an original would perform... That metal has to be different in the originals in terms of alloy and temper I'd think. Also, that's a .45 ACP S&W.

Total apples to oranges scenario, but a buddy had a nice WWI US helmet with a very unsightly bend to the rim, and try as we might, that steel would bit bend back into shape. Sprung right back every time. We used blocks of wood to put pressure on the crown of the bend in a vise, everything. Definitely not your average stamped steel.

Maybe the original owner was just bored or tried some target practice?

Nice helmet not matter how the "dent" got on it.

My guess is the same as others have already mentioned. I think someone shot it on purpose just for the fun of it. They may have put it out on a tree stump, took aim at the eagles head and fired away. Due either the size of the round, or the distance from target...it did not penetrate.

I would guess that is was due to a smaller round fired, since they were right on target (aim) and thus probably at a closer range.

.25, .32 and .38's were very popular back in the day and most would not penetrate a German helmet.

Just my thoughts as we will never really know for sure.