TV Series "The Lieutenant" USMC 1960's

Sgt. BARney

Sgt. BARney

Just saw that Get TV has begun showing the early 1960's series "The Lieutenant" on Wednesday nights. I've never heard of it before. It's about a Marine infantry lieutenant and is filmed at Camp Pendleton - lots of shots of uniforms, equipment and camp. We get it on an antenna, so not sure if this network is on cable or dish. Wow - they sure believed in heavy starch for their utilities back then!

I have never seen this show, but know that it was created by Gene Roddenberry a couple of years before he created Star Trek. I understand that a number of future Trek actors appeared on it. I'll need to see if I can find it somewhere. Thanks for the heads up!

Mikie

Just watched some on YouTube. I saw Bill Bixby and Leonard Nimoy in the two episodes that I caught. Great shots of gear.

Bob

Here's a couple of stills of Gary Lockwood, the main actor. He of course played Gary Mitchell in that early Star Trek episode Where No Man Has Gone Before, also Poole in 2001 Space Odyssey.

post-34986-0-53056200-1460260405.jpgpost-34986-0-81278900-1460260416.jpg

Sgt. BARney

I just looked on their website - www.get.tv - and they post a list of locations and stations. In the advertisements, they mention Gene Rodenberry and the Star Trek connection. Good luck!

Really glad I saw this post! I ordered the series from Amazon and I'm enjoying it very much! A little cheesy which was normal for this era, but the stories are good and the history fascinating! Was apparently sanctioned by the Marine Corps so the uniforms and gear are spot-on and many of the scenes filmed on location at Camp Pendleton.

Isn't that Dennis Hopper in the second photo of post #5?

It is, and there are tons of stars who made cameos - Eddie Albert, Ed Asner, Bill Bixby, Ted Knight and Leonard Nimoy just to name a few. Good stuff!