WWII Bringback - German to French Dictionary

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

My grandpa brought this German to French dictionary home from Operation Dragoon in Southern France. I thought it was interesting. Looks like the German soldier wrote something inside the book. I can't translate it though... anyone speak German?

post-131595-0-76896900-1460079168.jpg

Proud Kraut

Viele Gruesse aus (have to check this later).... Dein Fr. Walter Schuler.

Many Greetings from... Your Fr. Walter Schuler

stealthytyler

Viele Gruesse aus (have to check this later).... Dein Fr. Walter Schuler.

Many Greetings from... Your Fr. Walter Schuler

Thank you very much. I think Viele Gruesse aus is french... no?

Sad to put a name to this book. War is terrible.

Thank you very much. I think Viele Gruesse aus is french... no?

Sad to put a name to this book. War is terrible.

Stealthtyler,

''Viele Grusse aus" is German.

Proud Kraut

Oooops, once again:

The handwritten words are all German - thanks BEAST!

1. The English translation of "Viele Grüße aus..." is: "Many greetings from..."; "Dein" is "Yours" in English.

2. I have to check from where he sends his greetings with that booklet because he used the "Suetterlin" writing, the old German script type.

3. The name of the owner/sender was: "Fr. Walter Schuler" or "Fr. Walter Schulz". Fr. is probably for "Friedrich", "Frank" or "Fritz". "Walter" was his first name, "Schuler" or "Schulz" his last name.

Oooops, once again:

The handwritten words are all German - thanks BEAST!

1. The English translation of "Viele Grüße aus..." is: "Many greetings from..."; "Dein" is "Yours" in English.

2. I have to check from where he sends his greetings with that booklet because he used the "Suetterlin" writing, the old German script type.

3. The name of the owner/sender was: "Fr. Walter Schuler" or "Fr. Walter Schulz". Fr. is probably for "Friedrich", "Frank" or "Fritz". "Walter" was his first name, "Schuler" or "Schulz" his last name.

Proud Kraut,

Could the FR also be a religious title like Father for a Catholic priest?

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut,

Could the FR also be a religious title like Father for a Catholic priest?

Hmm, it's possible that it could something else than a first name but not an abrevation for "father" since the German word for it would be "Vater".

I would like to add that this is not a military/Wehrmacht dictionary. It's one of the so called "Wershoven Liliput" dictionary series. If your searching the web for this keywords you'll get several hits.

stealthytyler

So, Walter was probably not the soldier correct? He was the one sending the book to the soldier as a gift?

So, Walter was probably not the soldier correct? He was the one sending the book to the soldier as a gift?

Correct. I believe it translates to "Greetings from (probably the name of a town or other place). Your Fr. (maybe an abbreviation of the German word for friend, which is Freund) Walther Schuler." But it would really take a better German speaker than I, especially one that can read the old writing style.

Dale