Outstanding Scenes, Clips, Footage from Documentaries

Garandomatic

Garandomatic

I'm still binge watching Ken Burns' The War, and was into episode 6 tonight. There is so much good footage in that miniseries, that I thought it might be a cool thing to start a post where people post scenes that really hit them from any documentary that they liked. Could be a small detail, proof of something unique in use, or one heck of an amazing first person account.

The latter would be useful, as I always struggle when juggling the time and content that you HAVE to teach kids versus the kind of first-person accounts that would make the experience you are talking about more meaningful.

The scene that got me thinking might be of interest to Marine enthusiasts. In Ken Burns' THE WAR, in Episode 6: The Ghost Front, at about 92:00 in during the segment about Iwo, they show color footage of a close-up of John Basilone's pack, most likely after his death. The Marine that holds it brushes the sand and dirt from it and the name is clearly visible, though they never mention Basilone in the narrative there, I don't think.

On my computer, it showed it at 25:40 REMAINING.

I suppose for this to be useful, post the title of the documentary and the time of the portion in question. If it is a video clip that can be found on youtube, that would be useful too, of course, especially for those outstanding accounts and whatnot.

post-9670-0-56019500-1459991721.jpg

I remember that clip, very sobering..and "The War" does have some absolutely incredible footage