88th Infantry/350th Regt Stamped DUI

752ndTank

Today a contact of mine told me about an eBay auction that just came up for a pair of DUIs for the 350th Regiment / 88th Infantry. They appear to be made of thin stamped "tin" (or whatever) rather than the thicker, more solid type I usually see. I don't know if eBay links or photo grabs are allowed here, but if anyone is interested in taking a look it will be easy to find by searching eBay for the 350th Infantry Regiment.

I've seen examples of stamped DUIs before, but never for an MTO unit. Has anyone ever seen a stamped version specifically for the 350th, or any other unit in the MTO? Does anyone know the likely manufacturer, or the country of origin, or whether it was likely manufactured in the war years or in the postwar period? I don't doubt its authenticity at all, I'm just curious.

I'm not connected with the seller in any way and will not be bidding on it.

Thanks!

Couldn't find the 350th you mentioned, but the HTF 976th FA Bn may be another example of a "stamped DI' in the MTO (5th Army unit)

post-622-0-91750100-1460147600.jpg

The 350th Infantry Regiment was stationed in Austria for several years after WWII (until at least the early 1950s), so I think its pretty likely that the stamped DIs are you asking about are in fact post WWII and Occupation era. A neat set either way, but I'd be hesitant to assume they are from the 350th's time in the MTO. Even if they are from the units immediate post WWII time in Trieste, US Forces in Trieste were know to have some German made insignia (such as the "bevo" 88th Division patch that is somewhat common).

Couldn't find the 350th you mentioned, but the HTF 976th FA Bn may be another example of a "stamped DI' in the MTO (5th Army unit)

I have a set of those thin, stamped 976th FA DUIs and hadn't identified them before. Thank you!