found wreckage of Studebaker GS6. Looking for data plate photo

mmerc20

Hello all,

I was searching for artifacts for our museum this past weekend and came across the twisted wreckage of what turned out to be a Studebaker US6 truck on the old WWII mortar range. The only reason I knew that was because one piece had a data plate still attached and I'm trying to locate a photo of the same data plate installed on an operational vehicle. The truck itself was so badly destroyed I first thought it was a jeep. Pieces were everywhere.

The plate just lists the manuals that apply and references the parts list and operators manual. Can anyone point out where on the vehicle this is installed or provide a photo?

Thanks!

Mike

post-3373-0-08070700-1459870438.jpg

Can't help you with the plaque but it's an interesting find. That truck really is gone. Do you plan on recovering all the parts?

Not sure if its really worth recovering. We were able to secure the Stuart tank that was formerly a target however.

post-3373-0-85381800-1459873604.jpg

Not bad. I guess you could take some of the parts to show what happens to a truck on the range over time.

Despite being part of the modern land nav course, it is still covered with craters. I'm guessing the truck took a direct hit.

post-3373-0-59183200-1459874015.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mike,

What you want to do is contact the Studebaker National Museum Archivist (I can't remember his name, but he is a real nice guy and very helpful/knowledgeable) by going to the following link http://www.studebakermuseum.org/p/archives-and-education/research-and-products/ They have all of the Studebaker Factory records and photos, so they should have what you need. It costs like $25/hour for him to do the research, but he can do a LOT in an hour. There is an additional charge for 8X10 prints, but they are very high quality from the original factory negatives.

An interesting side fact. Studebaker Co. made US military vehicles and parts for every war from the revolutionary war (wagons and gun carriages) to the Vietnam war (they went out of business in the late 1960s) including ambulances, for pretty much every war including WWI, gun and later artillery carriages, the 6X6 trucks for WWII and Korea, B-17 engines, and the famous WWII Wiesel that MacArthur liked so much.

Cheers,

Dave