What is this an engine for?

avigo

Somebody locally is selling this engine. For some reason it just has a cool look to me.
Based on these two photos, can you tell what it's for? He says it's a continental engine, but it looks nothing like the photos I look up for one of those. These are the only two photos I have. Sorry, no closeup of the date plate.

He says its NOS.

Any idea on value as well?

thanks

m89f5Mf.jpg

JDmkRSJ.jpg

all the information you should need is on that data plate attached to the side. You would be quicker to your answer by just asking him to read the info off of it to you if he isn't able to take a photo of it.

Data plates are sort of "step 1" in the identification process. If there isn't a data plate, lobbing the pictures in the air for others to identify is the next step. :) (sorry, probably a bit snarky...but gees, there IS a data plate on the thing! :wacko: )

FWIW,

JAG

all the information you should need is on that data plate attached to the side. You would be quicker to your answer by just asking him to read the info off of it to you if he isn't able to take a photo of it.

Data plates are sort of "step 1" in the identification process. If there isn't a data plate, lobbing the pictures in the air for others to identify is the next step. :) (sorry, probably a bit snarky...but gees, there IS a data plate on the thing! :wacko: )

FWIW,

JAG

He lives far away and has been very slow to communicate. I know very little about engines so I wasn't sure if someone could just look at this and know right away what it was.

I will work on getting a pic of that plate!

Thanks

BTW, when you finally get up close to the data plate, I think you will find it is a Military Standard Engine. 8 C.I.D. Overhead valve single Cylinder Continental Motor Corps Mfd. by Sub Wisconsin Motor Corp circa 1968

FWIW,

John

BTW, when you finally get up close to the data plate, I think you will find it is a Military Standard Engine. 8 C.I.D. Overhead valve single Cylinder Continental Motor Corps Mfd. by Sub Wisconsin Motor Corp circa 1968

FWIW,

John

Thanks! Looking online quick, it seems like you are probably right.

Could this be used as a generator if it's not stuck or anything?

Any idea what these usually sell for? Can't seem to find any prices

phantomfixer

pretty much a GP engine...used for air compressors, generators, hydraulic pumps etc

I have purchased several over the years for 35 - 50 a piece in NOS and used condition...loud engines but neat

can use them to power just about anything...low HSP though...log splitters etc...shaft should be keyed to attach a pulley or clutch