WW I 12th Engineer Regiment Service Medal

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I ran across images of a WW I service medal presented by St Louis, Missouri to the members of the 12th Engineer Regiment (Narrow Gauge Railway) at the completion of the formal ceremonies prior to the victory parade in a 1919 dated history devoted to that regiment.

The relevant text stated that:

"At the completion of this ceremony every man and officer was presented with a bronze medal by the Engineers' Club and the Railway Club in the name of the citizen's of St. Louis and in appreciation of the splendid record made by the command throughout the war."

History of the 12th Engineers, U.S. Army, 1919, page 232

The text was accompanied by an image of soldiers marching wearing the medal as well a photos of the front and the back of the actual medal. The obverse reads: "THE CALL 1917" & "12th ENGINEERS RAILWAY".

The reverse reads: "PRESENTED TO" - followed by a space to engrave the recipient's name - "BY THE CITIZENS OF SAINT LOUIS IN RECOGNITION OF SERVICE IN FRANCE 1917-1919"

I was wondering if anyone post a color image of the medal?

post-5143-0-58529300-1459840601.jpg

RustyCanteen

Hi Brian,

Ask and ye shall receive..somewhere I had noted the manufacturer of this when I was working on my book, but I don't want to post based on memory in the event I misremembered it. There were a couple thousand made, although under 500 were handed out originally (the rest were sent to those who were discharged prior to the parade; which was under half-strength). They came in a pasteboard box via the St. Louis Engineers Club, which ordered and funded the medals. The first one was awarded to Colonel John Laird, 12th Engineers, commanding. After that short ceremony, the rest were handed out by the officers and NCO's.

PS - NONE were engraved prior to being handed out, and any engraved ones would have been done well after that date in all likelihood.

RC

world war I nerd

Dennis and RC, thanks for posting color images of the railroad medal ... yet another stateside issued medal featuring the interallied colors ribbon.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One of the companies of the 12th Engineers was from East St. Louis, IL. Wonder if they got the same medal.

Illinigander

They did.

I know this is an old post, but i found it while looking for information on the same medal.

Here are pictures.

That was Bob Whittakers. None of these were engraved when they were handed out. All engraving was privately done on a case by case basis later if the owner felt they wanted it. These were unofficial medals to commemorate service.

Seen one of these in the Engineer museum at Fort Leonard Wood. This was more info than I got about the medal there.